Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Matt Hamann <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/26 18:09:33 UTC

Invoking actions via websockets

I just opened an issue[1] in the `apigateway` repo to discuss the
ability for the gateway to handle websocket connections from a client
that could invoke a whisk action `onMessage`.

I'd like to get feedback from the community at large as to this
proposal. Interested in your thoughts, ideas, etc.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-apigateway/issues/325

-Matt
matthew.hamann@gmail.com

Re: Invoking actions via websockets

Posted by James Thomas <jt...@gmail.com>.
Re-posting from the external issue...

This would be an excellent feature of the API Gateway 👏. Websocket support
is something developers ask about a lot...

- We would need to define the error handling process when the the triggers
are unavailable or rate-limited. How would we signify to a client that a
message wasn't delivered?

Another (more difficult) thing to consider is how to make it possible for
messages to be sent to listening clients outside of responding to an
incoming event. If we take one of the most common examples for a websocket
application, a chat application, how could we enable this feature?

Ideally, an action could call the API Gateway service with a message to
pass to one or more clients currently connected to pass messages that
arrived from other sources.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 22:58, Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt
>
> Do you require changes in the controller, invoker, or runtimes for this?
>
> Or you think first implementation would be all apigateway side holding the
> connecting open as a websocket server to the client, as long the client
> keeps sending messages/frames, the apigateway calls web actions with a
> single connection to one of the edge/controllers with a keep alive.
>

> -- Carlos
>
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:10 PM Matt Hamann <ma...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I just opened an issue[1] in the `apigateway` repo to discuss the
> > ability for the gateway to handle websocket connections from a client
> > that could invoke a whisk action `onMessage`.
> >
> > I'd like to get feedback from the community at large as to this
> > proposal. Interested in your thoughts, ideas, etc.
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-apigateway/issues/325
> >
> > -Matt
> > matthew.hamann@gmail.com

James Thomas