Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Ryan Phillips <ry...@trolocsis.com> on 2009/01/09 07:18:02 UTC

SCons Updates...

Hi All,

I've been adding bits and pieces to the scons build system for /trunk.

* Add APRConfigureBase and APRConfigure classes

  The idea is to use APRConfigure and the base class to support cross
  compiles... For a cross compile a user can simply subclass
  APRConfigureBase and return the necessary results they need.

  Most compiled or executed applications ran at configure time will
  eventually be pulled into the class.

* A few bug fixes for SIZE_T formats in apr.h

* Added mmap and friends to function checking

* Check for semaphores

* Check for F_SETLK and flock

Are the new classes heading in the right direction?

Regards,
Ryan

Re: SCons Updates... 2

Posted by Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>.
Dan Poirier wrote:
> Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Understood. But if you're writing new code (for APR 2.x), then why
>> wouldn't you develop the codebase in Unicode? "Link with old
>> libraries" might be an answer, though I'd say "it is outside the scope
>> of APR to interact with that old library".
>>
>> Frankly, it would be nice if the APR 2.x API was pure Unicode charset,
>> encoded as UTF-8 across the board.
>>
>> I'm not disputing that EBCDIC is still in use (as you eminently point
>> out). Just that I fail to see it has a strict, useful requirement for
>> APR 2.x.
>
> Frankly, internal Unicode would be great.  Just so input and output
> still support EBCDIC, since people still do use it.  (Maybe even just
> input - does anyone actually serve web pages in EBCDIC?)

Well, I was just going to lurk, but I believe the answer
to this question is No. The z/OS servers convert EBCDIC
strings to UTF-8 by default. I don't think many (any?)
browsers support EBCDIC.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==

Re: SCons Updates... 2

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.

--
Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>

Re: SCons Updates... 2

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Understood. But if you're writing new code (for APR 2.x), then why
wouldn't you develop the codebase in Unicode? "Link with old
libraries" might be an answer, though I'd say "it is outside the scope
of APR to interact with that old library".

Frankly, it would be nice if the APR 2.x API was pure Unicode charset,
encoded as UTF-8 across the board.

I'm not disputing that EBCDIC is still in use (as you eminently point
out). Just that I fail to see it has a strict, useful requirement for
APR 2.x.

Cheers,
-g

Re: SCons Updates... 2

Posted by Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>.

Re: SCons Updates... 2

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:41, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > What is the better criteria?
>> > * offends sensibility of at least one APR contributor
>> > * actively used by and depended on by multiple APR contributors (and may
>> > be
>> > a partial sponsor of the warm, dry environment necessary for APR
>> > hacking,
>> > though that's probably a difficult determination to make for certain)
>>
>> If it is still being used, then... well, geez.  *shudder*
>>
>> And in response to your question, "duh. not like I have any super-vote
>> here. just opening a discussion."
>
> Here's a better opening to such a discussion ;)
>
> "Hey guys, here are some platforms/nuances/whatever currently in APR that I
> think we might be able to drop in 2.0.  Which are still being
> used/maintained?" ;)

hehehehe.....

Re: SCons Updates... 2

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCons Updates... 2

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCons Updates... 2

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCons Updates... 2

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: SCons Updates... 2

Re: SCons Updates...

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Ryan Phillips wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been adding bits and pieces to the scons build system for /trunk.
>
> * Add APRConfigureBase and APRConfigure classes
>
>   The idea is to use APRConfigure and the base class to support cross
>   compiles... For a cross compile a user can simply subclass
>   APRConfigureBase and return the necessary results they need.
>
>   Most compiled or executed applications ran at configure time will
>   eventually be pulled into the class.
>
> * A few bug fixes for SIZE_T formats in apr.h
>
> * Added mmap and friends to function checking
>
> * Check for semaphores
>
> * Check for F_SETLK and flock
>
> Are the new classes heading in the right direction?

Yes, this is great, thank you!

Making the APRConfigureBase and allowing people to override when
cross-compiling will actually make cross compiling pretty easy too.
Nice Idea.

Committed in r733102.

-Paul