Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Wyn Easton <wy...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/07 22:21:22 UTC

Catching a comm error

Hello:

This has probably been answered before. If there is
something in an archive, please point me there and
I'll read it.

I was wondering what happens if the SOAP response
never gets back to the client that invoked the SOAP
Call. In other words, the Java method that the SOAP
RPC router called returns, but the SOAP servlet never
gets to send the reply to the client. The client would
get a SOAP Fault, but does the service somehow get
informed that the client never got what was intended
to be returned? Can the web service register with the
SOAP servlet to be informed when the reply was not
returned to the client.
Thanks for your input.

http://faith.yahoo.com

Re: Catching a comm error

Posted by Wyn Easton <wy...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the input Mark.
In my situation it is the client that needs to know
what happened. We are sending XML documents and the
reply is also in an XML document. If the client gets
cut off before it can examine the XML, it does not
know
the result of the request.
I think I've got a solution, but any additional
comments on this type of problem would be welcomed.

http://faith.yahoo.com

Re: Catching a comm error

Posted by Wyn Easton <wy...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the input Mark.

Re: Catching a comm error

Posted by Mark Childerson <ma...@childersoft.com>.

Re: Catching a comm error

Posted by Mark Childerson <ma...@childersoft.com>.

Re: Catching a comm error

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
If you really need a handshake, I think you are right to take the
approach of having your service expose that functionality.

Scott Nichol

Re: Catching a comm error

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.

Re: Catching a comm error