Posted to user@struts.apache.org by tm...@lycosmail.com on 2001/01/19 10:36:05 UTC

Re: Getting Struts to Work with Weblogic x.x SPx

Hi.
So far, I use Struts privatly on TC3.2.
In order to use it at work (which would be just great!) it would need to function rock solid on Weblogic.
I did not try this myself yet, but I am reading the messages about problems. I understand that this is about servletengine specification vs. implementation.
Can we - any soon - expect Weblogic (5.x) to be a stable basis for Struts or should TC be always seen as the better choice? Thanks.
Timur Mervarz

Get free personalized email from Lycos at http://de.lycosmail.com

Re: Getting Struts to work with XYZ

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Timur Mehrvarz wrote:

> > Well, one thing you might wish to note is that I'm the primary
> > author of Struts, and my "day job" (what I do to make a living)
> > is developing on Tomcat (in the version 4.x codebase).
> > As you can imagine, Tomcat is my primary test platform
> > for debugging Struts, so you can pretty much always count on
> > those two playing nice together.
> > Craig McClanahan
>
> Sure, but from your view, how are the rational chances for someone
> to always catch up with the complete functionality (and behaviour)
> of TC x.x (reference implementation) to make something like Struts
> work solid on it?
>
> I get the impression this is a dead race.
> Suppose XYZ puts a lot of effort in it and can get their product
> to be 99.9% compatible with TC 3.2. Does that mean they can do it
> again later (for 4.x)? I just don't think so.
> (sounds as if I'm talking about OS/2)

Being 99.9% compatible with Tomcat x.x is not the point -- being 100% compatible
with the specs is the point.  Tomcat, like any piece of software, has its own
bugs, but a very large amount of attention is placed on ensuring that Tomcat is
as spec compliant as it can be.

Other platform providers decide for themselves how important that is to them.
Pretty much all the container providers are represented in the expert group that
*defines* those specs, so they don't have a lot of excuse IMHO not implement the
requirements.

Re: Getting Struts to work with XYZ

Posted by Timur Mehrvarz <ti...@d2mannesmann.de>.
> Well, one thing you might wish to note is that I'm the primary
> author of Struts, and my "day job" (what I do to make a living)
> is developing on Tomcat (in the version 4.x codebase).
> As you can imagine, Tomcat is my primary test platform
> for debugging Struts, so you can pretty much always count on
> those two playing nice together.
> Craig McClanahan

Sure, but from your view, how are the rational chances for someone
to always catch up with the complete functionality (and behaviour)
of TC x.x (reference implementation) to make something like Struts
work solid on it?

I get the impression this is a dead race.
Suppose XYZ puts a lot of effort in it and can get their product
to be 99.9% compatible with TC 3.2. Does that mean they can do it
again later (for 4.x)? I just don't think so.
(sounds as if I'm talking about OS/2)

Would'nt it (for us in need of Struts) be much smarter to avoid
such problems and setup TC in front of our EJB-container?

By the way, how do you judge the advances of running SE and
EJB-container in the same VM compared to a) running on seperate
VM's and b) running on separate machines?
I can't express how glad I would be to see a discussion of that.

Thanks.
Timur Mervarz

Re: Getting Struts to Work with Weblogic x.x SPx

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
tm64@lycosmail.com wrote:

> Hi.
> So far, I use Struts privatly on TC3.2.
> In order to use it at work (which would be just great!) it would need to function rock solid on Weblogic.
> I did not try this myself yet, but I am reading the messages about problems. I understand that this is about servletengine specification vs. implementation.
> Can we - any soon - expect Weblogic (5.x) to be a stable basis for Struts

That is a question best addressed to BEA/WebLogic.

> or should TC be always seen as the better choice?

Well, one thing you might wish to note is that I'm the primary author of Struts,
and my "day job" (what I do to make a living) is developing on Tomcat (in the
version 4.x codebase).  As you can imagine, Tomcat is my primary test platform
for debugging Struts, so you can pretty much always count on those two playing
nice together.

Even if these details change, Struts conforms to the requirements of the
relevant J2EE specifications, and always will.

> Thanks.
> Timur Mervarz

Craig McClanahan