Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ronny Schuetz <us...@groombridge34.de> on 2005/03/04 09:24:50 UTC

svnadmin dump of hot repository

Hi,

is it generally safe, to use "svnadmin dump" on a FSFS repository to
back it up even if it is currently in use (files are being added and
changed)? Or is the only chance to get a correct dump always to perform
a hot copy and then generate a dump of it?

Best regards,
Ronny

Re: svnadmin dump of hot repository

Posted by Eric Wilhelm <ew...@sbcglobal.net>.
# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Greg Loscombe
# on Friday 04 March 2005 08:08 am:

>I wrote a little backup script in Python using svnadmin --dump  -
>basically a way to do an incremental backup on several repos. nightly
>(or whenever)
>
>http://www.svnforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183

The trouble with running from a cron job is that you have to ask the
repository what its revision number is, check that it is greater than
the last backup, etc.  With a hook-script, you only backup when there
has been a commit and the repository tells you the revision number.

>I'm not really a programmer (just the SVN admin) - so it might look a
>little nasty, but it seems to do the trick =)
>
>Any improvements or feedback would be great.

You should look at the inc_backup and scheduler programs that I wrote.
This allows you to configure the backup schedule on a per-repository
basis based on how many revisions have been committed.

http://scratchcomputing.com/developers/

If you want help setting them up, let me know.

--Eric
--
"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana."
                                             -- Groucho Marx

Re: svnadmin dump of hot repository

Posted by Ronny Schuetz <us...@groombridge34.de>.
> Yeah, that's safe, dump just reads from the repository, so it's
> perfectly safe to do while someone is writing to it.  Otherwise you
> wouldn't be able to do an 'svn checkout' while someone was committing,
> they're using the same mechanism for reading the underlying repository.

Great. Thank you very much.

Posted by Greg Loscombe <gr...@eutechnyx.com>.
I wrote a little backup script in Python using svnadmin --dump  -
basically a way to do an incremental backup on several repos. nightly
(or whenever)

http://www.svnforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183

I'm not really a programmer (just the SVN admin) - so it might look a
little nasty, but it seems to do the trick =)

Any improvements or feedback would be great.

(I've improved it a little since, so I might update the forum post when
I get a second)

Greg

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Ronny Schuetz <us...@groombridge34.de>.