Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by m i l e s <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/28 22:10:47 UTC

[users@httpd] .htaccess (again) and a 500 error!

Hi,

Ive run into an odd problem.  First off Im running OS X Client 10.3.8
and Apache/1.3.33 running on Port 80.

That said...onto the ODD problem.

Ive enabled directory security on ONE of my hosted domains
[beta.xdomain.com] (of which I host about 60 or so on just this one
machine), and the very first domain in the list keeps coming up with
a 500 Server Error [www.adomain.com], and in the error log Im getting:

[Fri Oct 28 15:45:17 2005] [alert] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] /Library/
WebServer/Documents/~adomain.com/.htaccess: ErrorDocument not allowed
here.

There is NO ErrorDocument in the vHost Directive for this domain
(there should be, but there isn't).

When I remove the security from beta.xdomain.com the error above goes
away.

What I have discovered is that because adomain.com is the first in
the list of hosted domains, that its the only one being affected.  No
other domains are being affected.  So by example...

www.adomain.com <-- 500 error
www.bdomain.com (works)
www.cdomain.com (works)
etc.
beta.xdomain.com (security enabled)

I would think that if Im getting a 500 error for ONE domain (Internal
Server Error) that I'd get them for all of them...not just the first
in the list....

What am I doing wrong ?

M i l e s

       $LASSO->MYSQL CONSULTANT & EVANGELIST FOR HIRE
   -don't know what 'LASSO' is ? - http://www.omnipilot.com/
M i l e s                          miles@lassoconsultant.com
MagicMiles Software                         (415) 236 - 1344
Featuring: ToolboxEngine  - A Custom CMS    (415) 686 - 6164
http://www.lassoconsultant.com/   AIM/Yahoo/MSN:  magikmiles
"The strangeness of this life can not be measured, in trying
to produce my own death, I was elevated to the status of a
living hero." - Lt. John J. Dunbar. - 'Dances With Wolves'

[users@httpd] Re: .htaccess (again) and a 500 error!

Posted by Joshua Kugler <jo...@uaf.edu>.
On Friday 28 October 2005 13:45, m i l e s wrote:
> Nevermind...FOUND IT!
>
> For those of you wondering and have no idea where to look.
>
> The .HTACCESS file is located in the directory that you're trying to
> protect.

As per the documentation.

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess (again) and a 500 error!

Posted by m i l e s <ma...@gmail.com>.
Nevermind...FOUND IT!

For those of you wondering and have no idea where to look.

The .HTACCESS file is located in the directory that you're trying to
protect.

My problem stemmed from the fact that I inherited a directory from
another provider and that directory contained a .htaccess file.  I
removed it and all is well.

M i l e s.

[users@httpd] Re: .htaccess (again) and a 500 error!

Posted by Joshua Kugler <jo...@uaf.edu>.
On Friday 28 October 2005 12:19, m i l e s wrote:
> Where do I find the .htaccess file ?

Your error message states:
/Library/WebServer/Documents/~adomain.com/.htaccess: ErrorDocument not allowed
here.

So I would assume, although I know very little about Macs, that you would find
it in:

/Library/WebServer/Documents/~adomain.com/

j----- k-----

Posted by m i l e s <ma...@gmail.com>.
Joshua,

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 10/28/05, m i l e s <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [Fri Oct 28 15:45:17 2005] [alert] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] /Library/
> WebServer/Documents/~adomain.com/.htaccess: ErrorDocument not allowed
> here.
>
> There is NO ErrorDocument in the vHost Directive for this domain
> (there should be, but there isn't).

Look again at the error message.  It is referring to an .htaccess
file, not httpd.conf.  You have an ErrorDocument directive in the
.htaccess file.

> When I remove the security from beta.xdomain.com the error above goes
> away.

I suspect that this is because you are changing the AllowOverride
directive.  AllowOverride has nothing directly to do with "security",
but affects whether apache will read .htaccess files.

Joshua.