Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/04 16:27:35 UTC

[Ehancement ideas]

Hey sebb,

mike and I were just chatting about some enhancements to JMeter. I was
thinking, it might be nice to be able to run jmeter in console mode
and have it dump out graphs or statistics. My thought was to do the
following.

1. create a new type of component called Report
2. there would be an Abstract class for it
3. it would behave similar to a listener, except minus the GUI part.
4. there would be two base output types: text and png
5. any statistics would be passed to the output type, which generates
the file or image

what do you think?

peter

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 04/08/05, Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org> wrote:
> Yay Apache and licensing issues...
>
> It sounds to me like a reporting framework should not be linked to
> JMeter's gui in any way - it serves no purpose.  What is needed is an
> extendable framework for writing reporting components that take a .jtl
> file and convert it to whatever report a user wants.  Running this tool
> should be simple and not tied to JMeter itself (though a menu option to
> run a report on a jtl would be good).

Agreed.

However it would be useful to extend JMeter to add more output to the
JTL files for the reporting system to then use. Someone has already
asked for sampleData size to be logged; there are no doubt other items
that could be included.

Not sure if it would be possible to do this other than by adding more
code to the output methods each time a new field is required.

> I don't know what form is should take - ready-made xslt scripts (yuck),
> JasperReport scripts (or whatever - I'm not familiar with Jasper), or
> something else.

We use Perl for summarising the CSV files.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
I've been steadily working on the reporting component the last few
days. I was thinking of making an interface named ReportWriter and
have an abstract base implementation like the rest of jmeter.

public interface ReportWriter
public abstract class AbstractReportWriter

some other random thoughts about writing reports.

1. is it desirable to have the reportWriters use external
header/footer files? if so what the preferred embodiment?

2. I was thinking HTML reports should support the ability to use a
server side include, like .shtml. What do people think?

3. the kind of report designers I was thinking of would provide to
basic format at the start: CSV and html

4. A report could have multiple summary tables and charts. For
example, say I want one chart of all the max, min, average times and a
second table for error rate, req/sec and kb/sec.

peter lin

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
that's definitely a good thing to do. in either case, I still don't
know which way is better to go. it seems like the guys who start
jcharts are also apache guys.

peter

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Joseph Fifield <jf...@programmerplanet.org>.
This would make more sense. As long as each component basically took a
.jtl file and either wrote the report to disk or [if possible] display
the report in a gui. That way each component could generate the report
using the best strategy for that type of report. Maybe xslt for html
reports, JRXmlDataSource for JasperReports, ? for charts. Of course, the
csv formatted .jtl files still pose a problem (atleast for the examples
given).

Joe

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Joseph Fifield <jf...@programmerplanet.org>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Ehancement ideas]

Posted by Tom Cunningham <cu...@mac.com>.

Peter,

I'd be interested in helping on this.   My main interest would be extending the abstract class to dump out to a reporting framework, like JasperReports.

--Tom