Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Peter Romianowski <an...@gmx.de> on 2001/08/08 22:11:39 UTC

James - dynamic configuration

Hi there,

I already posted this to the users group for the discussion started there.
But now I think it's more a dev-thing...

thanks for the ideas. For my purpose the best choice would be writing a
matcher based on a database.
Here's a suggestion for other dynamic configuration:
For the applications which require dynamic configuration, I wrote some kind
of "configuration-framework".
This lets you use different configuration sources (properties-file,
database, xml or what ever) and has a built-in
reload-mechanism on specified events. For XML-configuration this event is
the file-modification. If such an event is fired all objects using the
configuration are notified (if they choose to listen for that event) and can
aply the new properties.
I am aware that there are situations where properties cannot be dynamic, but
mailetconfiguration should be no problem.
I think that at least dynamic mailet-configuration would boost the usability
and maintainability (is there such word? I'm just a german lamer... :-) of
JAMES, so I would like to see such things.
I don't know the general "masterplan" for the near future of JAMES, but if
others think that this feature may be useful and important I would discuss a
bit more about that. And of course I would help coding this feature...

greetz
Peter Romianowski