Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by David Mollitor <da...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/03 16:40:37 UTC

Separate Projects

Ozone is moving out of the Hadoop Project.

Any interest in carving out all of the Hadoop projects into their own
spaces?

YARN
HDFS
Mapreduce
Commons
Submarine

They already have their own Jira spaces, mailing lists, etc. They probably
should have their own Github spaces, release schedules, etc.

Re: Separate Projects

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.
To be more preciously:

  * Submarine is moving out (AFAIK the proposal is written and board
will discuss it)
  * Ozone is voted to be moved out to a separate __Hadoop__ repository
(it's a code split not a project split)

Some community members suggested to move out with Ozone, but nobody
started the discussion thread, yet.

Now about the other subprojects:

AFAIK there was a time when they were separated but it didn't work well.
Personally I don't know anything about this historical event (but would
be very happy to read about the _technical_ problems).

Personally I would be happy to have separated release from some of the
common libraries (eg. hadoop rpc) but I can see many difficulties with
full separation (for example can Yarn 14.3 and HDFS 7.0.2 can work
together if one depends on hadoop-commons 1.2 the other one on 1.3)

Marton