Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com> on 2023/02/27 11:36:20 UTC

Windows installer build process

I was wanting to investigate the 'native' windows installer to see if
I could fix https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/5060 'Difficulty
with NB16 Windows installer' but I cannot figure  out how the windows
stub exe gets incorporated to the final, overall windows installer
'Apache-NetBeans-17-bin-windows-x64.exe' or whatever.

Can anyone give me some hints to get started?

Re: Windows installer build process

Posted by Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 2023/02/27 22:23:17 Christian Oyarzun wrote:
> I believe the stub gets the rest of the installer's binary data appended to
> it or vise-versa
Thanks Christian, that was helpful. I think maybe it's the shell
scripts in "netbeans\nbbuild\installer\infra\build" that assemble the
final binary.

The stub is padded out to 450000 bytes and then the metadata and
binary data are appended to that (so the stub knows to start
extracting from a fixed offset 450000 from the beginning of the file)
This means I can recompile the stub and test it just by overwriting
the first part of an existing installer, which is simpler/quicker than
going through the proper build process.That seems to work so far,
hopefully I can proceed this way.

Re: Windows installer build process

Posted by Christian Oyarzun <co...@oyarzun.net>.
Hi Peter,

I believe the stub gets the rest of the installer's binary data appended to
it or vise-versa
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/nbi/engine/src/org/netbeans/installer/utils/system/launchers/impl/ExeLauncher.java

--Christian