Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Cavan Morris <ca...@worldnet.att.net> on 2001/12/18 20:48:44 UTC

mod-webapp "Bugs"

Hey everybody,
I'm running tomcat 4.0.1 under apache 1.3.22 through mod_webapp from
webapp-module-1.0-tc40-linux-glibc2.2.tar.gz and I've noticed a couple of
quirks in the way it's working.  I'm wondering if these are bugs that
will/should be corrected or they are the result of misconfigureation on my
part.

The first problem is that if I go to www.mydomain1.com/webapp-info or
www.mydomain1.com/examples I get:
    Not Found
    The requested URL /examples was not found on this server.
If I go to www.mydomain1.com/webapp-info/ or www.mydomain1.com/examples/ it
works fine.  That happens whether I include a trailing slash in the
httpd.conf WebAppDeploy or not.  (Examples from docs say not)

The other, more serious problem is this.  I can't authenticate to the
protected areas of my ROOT app through mod-_webapp.  I'm using form based
login and a JDBC Realm on tomcat to protect one of the subdirectories.
Everything works fine if I go directly to tomcat on port 8080, but if I go
through apache the authentication fails every time.  The 302 redirects work
fine, it's just that no mater what username and password I use it acts like
they're bad.  They're not though.  I can see them in the database and use
them on port 8080.

Any ideas what's going wrong or where I made a mistake?  Are these known
issues with this configureation?
Here's my mod_webapp lines in httpd.conf.  I hope somebody can give me a
hand.

LoadModule webapp_module      libexec/mod_webapp.so
#apache 1.3.22 seems to nolonger require AddModule lines
[...]
WebAppConnection conn      warp  localhost:8008

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName www.mydomain1.com
    UseCanonicalName On
    WebAppInfo /webapp-info
    WebAppDeploy examples conn /examples
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAdmin webadmin@mydomain2.com
    ServerName www.mydomain2.com
    ServerAlias mydomain2.com *.mydomain2.com
    UseCanonicalName On
    WebAppDeploy  ROOT  conn  /
</VirtualHost>

Re: mod-webapp "Bugs"

Posted by Christian Bongiorno <bo...@ensco.com>.
We were having this same problem I believe and what we had to do (in linux)
was make sure that the catalina.sh was started from the ~(home) directory

Posted by Janek Bogucki <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.