Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com> on 2020/11/23 16:52:18 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Dear community,

I want to start voting on Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode
extension convenience binary for 12.2 release of Apache NetBeans. It is
built off the main Apache NetBeans 12.2 voting candidate 2, sent by
Laszlo Kishalmi.

Build description is here
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/java/java.lsp.server/vscode/BUILD.md#building

Build artifacts of NetBeans VSCode extension are available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-vscode-ext/12.2.0/

The primary convenience binary is:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-vscode-ext/12.2.0/apache-netbeans-java-12.2.0-vc2.vsix

SHA512:
297be45741aecf32d19e32c61214a8e56ca034a6594ddfd76e77761bac83a9af7747263e61f403753c18abb7918494600247e258061e8be4a5d526eedd25efeb

I would like to release this convenience binary on VSCode Marketplace as
soon as NetBeans 12.2 VC2 completes as well as this voting completes.

Thank you,
Martin Balin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Waiting for parent project voting passes was and is the intention and
prerequisite for this voting and for closing it.
Martin

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020, 20:01 John Mc, <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> -1
>
> Votes on convenience binaries should surely wait to see if the parent
> project vote passes imo.

We often have voting in parallel, just this, like others, would be
dependent on the main vote passing.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Hi,
I'm sorry, still learning how to release complimentary binaries for
NetBeans.
Next time I'll do it better.

Martin

Re: Voting in parallel was: Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 at 09:22, Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 24. listopadu 2020 8:53:19 SEČ, John Mc <mc...@gmail.com> napsal:
> >My main concern here and the reason for my -1 is that there seems to be
> >push for a convince binary without knowing if the main vote passes. If
> >it
> >doesn't then it's a waste of time and effort.
>
> I don't see that huge problem in running votes in parallel. The obvious advantages are that there is less time wasted waiting for votes, and that if a problem is found during a convenience binary vote, it can advise the main vote.

+1 See also multiple discussions we already had on this during 11.2,
prior to which we hadn't really voted on binaries at all.  eg.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/52cb91e35bb268e32c353cafef917f9e8bf304e420e3ff08ababe707%40%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E
 The intention then was always to have parallel voting wherever
possible, the discussion was more about whether to have one thread or
multiple.

The only reason we didn't have parallel votes for installers for 12.1
was delay caused by macOS issues (again!) which John sorted, and
problems I had with accessing ASF signing via new computer for the
Windows installer.  Those sort of things happen, but are not a good
reason in my opinion to make it a "NetBeans project habit", hence my
first reply! :-)

> >Im also struggling with why this new sub project seems to be pushing
> >forward and not liasing with the NetBeans RM for this release. Why are
> >they
> >pushing a separate timetable?  Surely the creation of a timetable for
>
> Not sure if there is a separate timetable - the source release will be done first, and then the other/secondary convenience binaries, including this one. So it seems like a single timetable?

+1, although agree with John that it sounds like this might have been
better coordinated with Laszlo as RM.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Voting in parallel was: Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

My personal opinion only:

24. listopadu 2020 8:53:19 SEČ, John Mc <mc...@gmail.com> napsal:
>Hi Laszlo,
>
>It will probably be at the weekend when I can do the Mac installer. But
>yeah I've no problem doing it.
>
>My main concern here and the reason for my -1 is that there seems to be
>push for a convince binary without knowing if the main vote passes. If
>it
>doesn't then it's a waste of time and effort.

I don't see that huge problem in running votes in parallel. The obvious advantages are that there is less time wasted waiting for votes, and that if a problem is found during a convenience binary vote, it can advise the main vote.

>Im also struggling with why this new sub project seems to be pushing
>forward and not liasing with the NetBeans RM for this release. Why are
>they
>pushing a separate timetable?  Surely the creation of a timetable for

Not sure if there is a separate timetable - the source release will be done first, and then the other/secondary convenience binaries, including this one. So it seems like a single timetable?

Jan

>it's
>release should come from the NetBeans RM? Granted someone in the
>community
>might do the last few steps but ultimately it's a NetBeans release...
>

>Regards
>
>John
>
>On Mon 23 Nov 2020, 21:49 Laszlo Kishalmi, <la...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Well, I plan to close the VOTING round for 12.2 source Tomorrow
>morning
>> PST (That would be Tomorrow late afternoon in Europe). After that is
>out
>> I'd start a round for the Window and Linux binaries, also I'd ask
>John
>> to prepare the Mac binary. That would be the right time to start the
>VS
>> Code binary round, probably by then it won't be necessary to refer as
>> rc3 or voting candidate 2, as NetBeans 12.2 shall be considered as
>> released.
>>
>> Once the parallel votes have been collected, assuming that we could
>> prepare the website, the announcements can go out on the weekend.

>> > The best time to object was on Thursday when I described the plan
>> vote in
>> > parallel:
>> >
>> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/
>> > r2c456e2ae9cde981e2027c9ac65ec9e624405d7b052a13e4256f2f6f%40%
>> 3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

>> things up.
>is
>> > It is my understanding that finishing source vote and only then
>starting
>> vote
>> > on complementary binaries is not Apache policy, just a NetBeans
>project
>> habit.

>parent
>> > We are certainly not going to finish the VSNetBeans vote sooner
>than
>> parent one

>Marketplace
>> completes.
>> > Of course, few more `-1` like the one by John...

>> > ...and the VSNetBeans vote is over before the parent vote finishes.
>> > -jt

>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Mailing+lists

Odesláno aplikací K-9 Mail ze systému Android. Omluvte prosím moji stručnost.

Re: Voting in parallel was: Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Laszlo,

It will probably be at the weekend when I can do the Mac installer. But
yeah I've no problem doing it.

My main concern here and the reason for my -1 is that there seems to be a
push for a convince binary without knowing if the main vote passes. If it
doesn't then it's a waste of time and effort.

Im also struggling with why this new sub project seems to be pushing
forward and not liasing with the NetBeans RM for this release. Why are they
pushing a separate timetable?  Surely the creation of a timetable for it's

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020, 21:01 Jaroslav Tulach, <ja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It is my understanding that finishing source vote and only then starting
> vote
> on complementary binaries is not Apache policy, just a NetBeans project
> habit.

Not always, or by design - concurrency is hard! ;-)

Neil

Voting in parallel was: Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)