Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Alex ARNAUD <al...@hypra.fr> on 2017/12/14 16:09:33 UTC

Alternative for TeamViewer via Guacamole

Hello all,

I'm working at a company that helps visual-impaired, regular users and
elderly people to access to the computer based on free and open-source
software. We provide training and support for them.

We need to be able to take control of their computer and we're searching
for an alternative to TeamViewer.

We would like to able to reproduce a similar procedure as TeamViewer
does and to access the users computer from the Guacamole interface.

I've searched a lot on the internet without to find solution and script
that could help me to do that. I'm surprised that I have not found
anything because I imagine other people or companies have the same
requirement as we have.

Are you aware of any solution or script that could help me to solve my
issue?

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager

Re: Alternative for TeamViewer via Guacamole

Posted by "Jonathan F. McDonagh" <jo...@mcdonagh.com>.
Jim

You might what to explain our Fridley solution.

Regards,
Jonathan McDonagh
McDonagh Bros, Inc.

jonathan@mcdonagh.com<ma...@mcdonagh.com>
612-435-2001 - (rings my desk and cell)
612-865-1636 - Cell

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.
I've also been using zerotier the same way.  I have a guac server on the
same zt network and run a vnc client on the remote computers.  I've got
PC's, MACs, and raspberri pi's on this and it's pretty great.

Posted by Alex ARNAUD <al...@hypra.fr>.
Le 14/12/2017 à 19:55, Chris Stave a écrit :
> Guacamole is great when you can reach the user's computer -- for spread
> out users, it gets a little more complicated.  Setting up VPN tunnels
> for people would be pretty painful and hard to manage, require some
> central point, and wouldn't be super-fantastic.  For an easy way to get
> reachability (and then you can use plain-ol'-VNC or set up Guacamole as
> a nice front end to it), I have been using ZeroTier, which
> pretty-painlessly connects users to a secured flat network.  Most of
> their offering is Open Source.  Give it a try on a computer or two and
> verify that it would do what you'd want it to, and then you can figure
> out some simple network rules (eg. don't let people tagged with "end
> user" talk to each other, maybe?) and roll it out.  The installation is
> easy and generally it "just works."

Thanks for the tips. ZeroTier looks an interesting project to simulate
an local network.

What's about to open VNC automatically and to automatically create a
Guacamole access point to the computer? Are you doing all this steps
manually? We've more than hundred of users that could use the support
and most of them are blind or visual-impaired and doesn't know what VNC
means.

Best regards.

Posted by Chris Stave <ch...@voxmedia.com>.

Posted by Alex ARNAUD <al...@hypra.fr>.