Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Samuel Sadek <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2002/02/22 20:44:20 UTC

RE: How to make James work with Oracle database?

I'm experiencing some major problems with JAMES hooked with Oracle 8.1.7.
The problem doesn't reside receiving, processing new mail and thus storing
the resulting message in the inbox table in Oracle as I've ran a check on
the size of the table via "select count(*) from inbox", but actually reading
the new mail off from inbox table using a customised POP mail client
software using JavaMail. I've used the same client to access other POP mail
with no problems at all, but when I attempt to read from JAMES POP server it
doesn't receive it!!!

Please find below the create SQL clause I've used to create the inbox table
in the first place:

<sql name="createTable" db="oracle">
        CREATE TABLE ${table} (
        	message_name varchar2 (200) NOT NULL,
        	repository_name varchar2 (200) NOT NULL,
        	message_state varchar2 (30) NOT NULL ,
        	error_message varchar2 (200) NULL ,
        	sender varchar2 (200) ,
        	recipients varchar2 (1000) NOT NULL ,
        	remote_host varchar2 (100) NOT NULL ,
        	remote_addr varchar2 (20) NOT NULL ,
        	message_body long NOT NULL ,
        	last_updated date NOT NULL ,
        	PRIMARY KEY (message_name, repository_name)
        )
        TABLESPACE system
</sql>

I'm also aware of Sun's problem with ot reading data off from clob so I've
used a long data type which is standard and should not be the cause of the
problem (althought I'm hoping that's not the case!).

This thread seems to be rather long-winded and pervasive but I would
appreciate it your comments/feedback on the matter.

Thanks.

Sam.

RE: How to make James work with Oracle database?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
what does the content of the message_body field contain? it should hold a
complete mail message with all its headers.
Does the POP server serve the mail correctly? you could try telnetting to
port 110, the commands are
USER [username]
PASS [password]
LIST