Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/02 16:04:28 UTC

JAX-RS: Is anyone using CodeGeneratorProvider

Hi,

I'm thinking of deleting CodeGeneratorProvider [1] for 2.6 only,
given that it seems to be redundant now that we have a wadl2java command
line tool and plugin.

The idea behind CodeGeneratorProvider has been that one can just quickly
download a zipped source from the dev/test service endpoint, compile,
enhance a bit and test, but with the wadl2java tools it is not needed
any more. One can get an existing WADL or use the one generated by CXF
and feed it into a wadl code generator locally...

Does anyone feel it should be kept nonetheless and if yes then why ?

Let me know please, as I'm planning to remove it in the next few days.
This will also let me move the SourceGenerator code which
CodeGeneratorProvider relies upon to the tools/wadl, where it does belong...

Thanks, Sergey

[1]
http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jaxrs-services-description.html#JAXRSServicesDescription-GeneratingtheclientcodefromWADLatruntime

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders
http://coders.talend.com/

Blog: http://sberyozkin.blogspot.com

Re: JAX-RS: Is anyone using CodeGeneratorProvider

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
On 02/02/12 15:04, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of deleting CodeGeneratorProvider [1] for 2.6 only,
> given that it seems to be redundant now that we have a wadl2java command
> line tool and plugin.
>
> The idea behind CodeGeneratorProvider has been that one can just quickly
> download a zipped source from the dev/test service endpoint, compile,
> enhance a bit and test, but with the wadl2java tools it is not needed
> any more. One can get an existing WADL or use the one generated by CXF
> and feed it into a wadl code generator locally...
>
> Does anyone feel it should be kept nonetheless and if yes then why ?
>
> Let me know please, as I'm planning to remove it in the next few days.
> This will also let me move the SourceGenerator code which
> CodeGeneratorProvider relies upon to the tools/wadl, where it does
> belong...

I proceeded with this move as it appears it is unlikely any is using
this provider...This change is only for 2.6, ping me please if you feel
it is still needed. At any time in the future we can get a dedicated
codegen module which will keep both SourceGenerator and (restored)
CodeGeneratorProvider code if there's some demand for it

But for now it's one more step toward simplifying the jaxrs frontend a bit

Cheers, Sergey

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.