Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by "Andrea K." <ak...@alteanet.it> on 2007/11/14 15:13:39 UTC

> Indexes Backup

Hi all,
Can you help me to find the right solution to backup a clustered JR?

Details are:
1. JR on Oracle 10g database (repository and cluster tables) - NO BACKUP
PROBLEMS
2. Local directories (each server) with configuration files and indexes (+
revision.log)

How can I backup it to take the situation coherent to db and cluster nodes
view?

A question is (I describe a situation):
- Server 1 is updated to revision 120 (i.e.) and I backup it (server is
stopped).
- Server 2 is updated in the meanwhile to 124 (i.e.) and I backup it (server
is stopped).
- Server 1 is restarted and write some revisions up to 127.
- Server 1 is restarted and write some revisions up to 135.

If Server 1 crash and i re-apply backup indexes up to 120, will it work or
some revisions are skipped during Server1 initial reindex as generator is
itself?

Thanks a lot for your help.
BR,
Andrea -

Re: > Indexes Backup

Posted by "Andrea K." <ak...@alteanet.it>.
So, regarding my starting example.
If I restore indexes to revision 120 on Server1, some future (self) revision
will be skipped?

In this case, there's no way (or reason) to backup indexes!

You can never return to a consistent index because some revisions will be
skipped by Server1, and consequently, some data will never be searcheable on
Server1. Is it right or I'm wrong?

Is it a correct behaviour also if the server restarts from an old revision?!

So, any idea to backup the system/indexes in a correct way?

Thanks...
Andrea.

Re: > Indexes Backup

Posted by Dominique Pfister <do...@day.com>.

Re: > Indexes Backup

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Andrea K. wrote:
> Hi Marcel,
> my question is exactly over this point.
>
> I know that it will not re-index all the repository. As I often see messages
> in repository log referring to "revision added by local and skipped" - my
> specif question is: these revisions are really skipped in a case like this
> or restarting from a minor revision it will reload them all? In other works,
> Server1 will read and reload all self Server1 revisions or skip them and
> read only Server2 revisions?

that's also my understanding of how clustering works. but maybe dominique can
jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

I'm not sure what the log message is about. but looking at the code it seems you
are referring to AbstractJournal.doSync(), is that correct?

regards
  marcel

Re: > Indexes Backup

Posted by "Andrea K." <ak...@alteanet.it>.
Hi Marcel,
my question is exactly over this point.

I know that it will not re-index all the repository. As I often see messages
in repository log referring to "revision added by local and skipped" - my
specif question is: these revisions are really skipped in a case like this
or restarting from a minor revision it will reload them all? In other works,
Server1 will read and reload all self Server1 revisions or skip them and
read only Server2 revisions?

Thanks a lot.

BR,
Andrea -