Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/11/13 03:34:31 UTC

[VOTE] Release Validator 1.2.0

Validator 1.2.0 RC3 has been available for more than a week with no problems
reported and all outstanding bug reports are enhancement requests.

  [ ] +1  I support this release and am willing to help
  [ ] +0  I support this release but am unable to help
  [ ] -0  I do not support this release
  [ ] -1  I do not support this release, and here are my reasons

See the zips at:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator/1.2.0-rc3/

See the website at:
http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator/1.2.0-rc3/site/

Niall

Re: [VOTE] Release Validator 1.2.0

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
     [x] +1  I support this release and am willing to help  (binding)

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> I had created a page on the Wiki which provided a summary of the main
> changes in Validator 1.2.0 - unfortunately it didn't include anything on the
> dependency changes. I have now added an entry in the "Changes Report" for
> the dependency changes in Validator 1.2.0. I have also included a section in
> the Release Notes on the wiki. The Validator "home" page and "Downloads"
> pages both point to the "Changes Report" and the Wiki "Release Notes" page.

My vote is now +1.

Stephen

Re: [all] Website enhancements [was Release Validator 1.2.0]

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 11/20/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 22:39 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
> > I'm not forcing anybody into anything :-), but I think these do provide
> > benefits to our users if we can share them across more commons
> > components. I would like us to try and agree on one naming convention
> > for the javadocs if at all possible.
> >
> > Currently these changes are implemented on [collections] and [io], and
> > are on their way (all or in part) in [validator] & [beanutils].
>
> if we had these templates somewhere central (commons-build/templates,
> say) then they could be maintained centrally and any improvements would
> be shared more easily. this might also make things easier for new
> projects. opinions?

<snip/>

Indeed, I expressed a similar opinion in r345388 [1]

I began tracing the generation to the point where a cursory glance
seemed to reveal that the template locations were hard-coded, at which
point, I abandoned that idea for lack of time.

-Rahul

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=113227439016673&w=2

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 22:39 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

<snip>

looks good :)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Dion Gillard wrote:
> On 11/15/05, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Feel free to submit improvements to the original Maven templates as
>>well. I think Dion just volunteered to commit them, right? :)
>

> Me, commit on Maven? I'm not a committer.

I thought you still had commit on maven-1. My mistake.

>>I think someone had on their queue to backport the Maven 2.0 versions:
>>http://maven.apache.org/source-repository.html
>>http://maven.apache.org/issue-tracking.html
>>http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html
>>
>>It would be good to apply some of these improvements to those too.
>

> I'll have a look at the 1.x process and see if they can be improved by
> default, in comparison to the 2.0 stuff, but a lot of the information
> in the templates Stephen has produced are not available in the pom,
> e.g. the open/closed/all bugs links.

Yes, we do have an issueManagement section in 2.0 that could house that
information though it has not yet been utilised. And obviously that
doesn't help in this instance either.

- Brett

Re: [all] Website enhancements [was Release Validator 1.2.0]

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On 11/15/05, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Feel free to submit improvements to the original Maven templates as
> well. I think Dion just volunteered to commit them, right? :)

Me, commit on Maven? I'm not a committer.

> I think someone had on their queue to backport the Maven 2.0 versions:
> http://maven.apache.org/source-repository.html
> http://maven.apache.org/issue-tracking.html
> http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html
>
> It would be good to apply some of these improvements to those too.

I'll have a look at the 1.x process and see if they can be improved by
default, in comparison to the 2.0 stuff, but a lot of the information
in the templates Stephen has produced are not available in the pom,
e.g. the open/closed/all bugs links.

> - Brett
>
> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > Dion Gillard wrote:
> >
> >> Do these reports in Maven provide a way of specifying a custom template?
> >>
> >> That would be preferable, since the maven default sucks.
> >

> > All I did was create xdocs .xml files with the correct name. Maven then
> > uses those. Feel free to copy from [io], or perhaps [validator] since
> > Niall/[math] seems to have improved on the issue tracking :-)
> >
> > Stephen

Bernard Shaw

Re: [all] Website enhancements [was Release Validator 1.2.0]

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

On 11/15/05, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> I spent some of the weekend fine tuning some improvements to the maven
> documentation. I'd like to propose that other components consider the
> same ideas.
>
> 1) Improving cvs-usage:
> Maven default:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/cvs-usage.html
> Improved version:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/cvs-usage.html
>
> This provides much more info.
>
> 2) Improved issue-tracking:
> Maven default:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/cli/issue-tracking.html
> Improved version:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/issue-tracking.html
>
> Again, this provides much more info and hopefully improves reporting.
>
> 3) Including three sections on the home page - Documentation, Releases,
> Support, example:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/
>
> These provide the links to the improved pages, and also stress the [xxx]
> convention for mailing lists and bugs.
>
> 4) Breaking the left navigation into Commons Xxx and Development menus,
> example:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/
>
> This separates the needs of most users from the needs of those who get
> much more involved.
>
> 5) Javadoc directories:
> The latest svn docs:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/apidocs/index.html
> Version 1.0:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/api-1.0/index.html
> Version 1.1:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/api-1.1/index.html
> The latest release (a unix link to api-1.1):
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/api-release/index.html
>
> This is the current best fit with maven, as maven can and will freely
> overwrite the apidocs directory. Thus the idea is that when you do a
> release, you copy the docs to the named directory manually.
>

> I'm not forcing anybody into anything :-), but I think these do provide
> benefits to our users if we can share them across more commons
> components. I would like us to try and agree on one naming convention
> for the javadocs if at all possible.
>
> Currently these changes are implemented on [collections] and [io], and
> are on their way (all or in part) in [validator] & [beanutils].
>
> Stephen

Bernard Shaw

Re: [all] Website enhancements [was Release Validator 1.2.0]

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Are you proposing that each component add their own custom
"issue-tracking.xml" and "cvs-usage.xml" pages - or having standard
templates for them in commons-build that can be used to generate a custom
one for the component? +1 to that from me.

Also, for the "issue-tracking.xml" pages  I just set up for Validator and
BeanUtils - I used the "Math" component for the basis of "submit a bug
report or enhancement" link - it puts some default text in the bug with
useful instructions and also automatically adds the prefix of the component
( e.g. "[beanutils]" ) to the subject line.

   http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/beanutils/issue-tracking.html

Niall

[io] iouage [was Release Validator 1.2.0]

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> P.S. When I copied the cvs-usage.xml from Commons IO I noticed in the Apache
> License section had "iouage" rather than "language" - looks like someone
> copied the docs from Commons Lang and did a global change from "lang" to
> "io" - other files seem to be similarly affected.

Probably me :-(
Fixed now, thanks!

Stephen

Re: [VOTE] Release Validator 1.2.0

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Stephen, thanks for all your feedback.

I had created a page on the Wiki which provided a summary of the main
changes in Validator 1.2.0 - unfortunately it didn't include anything on the
dependency changes. I have now added an entry in the "Changes Report" for
the dependency changes in Validator 1.2.0. I have also included a section in
the Release Notes on the wiki. The Validator "home" page and "Downloads"
pages both point to the "Changes Report" and the Wiki "Release Notes" page.

http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator/1.2.0-rc3/site/changes-report.html
   http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/ValidatorVersion120

Thanks for pointing out the Commons IO example - I have also changed the
Validator site to include the suggestions you make:

The home page now includes release, javadoc and support information.
The "Source Repository" page has been improved (as per commons io)
The "Issue Tracking" page has been added (as per commons io)

  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator/1.2.0-rc3/site/

http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator/1.2.0-rc3/site/cvs-usage.html

http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-validator/1.2.0-rc3/site/issue-tracking.html

I have also added multiple copies of the javadocs on the server

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/api-1.0.2/
  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/api-1.1.4/
  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/api-release/

Since the changes are only documentation, I propose we proceed with the vote
based on RC3 (rather than rolling a new release candidate).

Thanks again.

Niall

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Validator 1.2.0

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Commons Validator 1.2.0 has received the following binding votes:

+1 Niall Pemberton
+1 Stephen Colebourne
+1 Ted Husted

The vote thread is here: