Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mário Gamito <ga...@netual.pt> on 2004/08/19 17:35:54 UTC

Question regarding SA learn

Hi,

I've created an account called spam@mydomain.com and told all my clients
that when they receive a SPAM message not marked as such, to forward it
  to that account.

Then, i thought of everyday runnig in crontab, something like:

53 23 * * * root /usr/bin/sa-learn --spam
/home/vpopmail/domains/mydomain.com/spam/Maildir/new

But then, it came to my mind, that in this way, the e-mail addresses of
my clients that forwards the messages will be caught in the SA learn fire.

Any ideias how to avoid that, or other way to make it right ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Warm regards,
Mário Gamito

Re: Question regarding SA learn

Posted by Dougie Nisbet <do...@highmoor.co.uk>.
On Thursday 19 August 2004 17:21, Mário Gamito wrote:

> By the way, i have about 100 domains and 2500 acounts.
> How could i redirect all SPAM marked messages from all domains to a
> particular folder ?

Ah well, that's 2450 more than I have, so I appreciate the problem of
scale :-) Although I think it's quite possible, I think it might involve a
lot of user training. It's much easier to tell your users to forward spam to
a particular account than set up 2500 mail folders and train your users to
drop it into a spam folder. It's an interesting problem. Wish I knew the
answer!

Dougie

Re: Question regarding SA learn

Posted by Mário Gamito <ga...@netual.pt>.
Hi Dougie,

Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> On Thursday 19 August 2004 16:35, Mário Gamito wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've created an account called spam@mydomain.com and told all my clients
>>that when they receive a SPAM message not marked as such, to forward it
>>  to that account.
>>

> Could you get them to save it to a particular folder?
Yes, i thought about that, but i'm afraid of false positives, but it's
an issue i should consider.

By the way, i have about 100 domains and 2500 acounts.
How could i redirect all SPAM marked messages from all domains to a
particular folder ?

Thank you for your answer.

Posted by Dougie Nisbet <do...@highmoor.co.uk>.
On Thursday 19 August 2004 16:35, Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created an account called spam@mydomain.com and told all my clients
> that when they receive a SPAM message not marked as such, to forward it
>   to that account.

Could you get them to save it to a particular folder? I use kmail and move all
my missed spam to a folder called spam/2learn. Then I have a cron job run by
user 'postie' that picks up and processes the folder using the following code
snippet:

	echo "Learning SPAM from dougie mail"
	sudo cp -v /home/dougie/Mail/.spam.directory/2learn /tmp/2learn
	sudo chmod 777 /tmp/2learn
	sa-learn --spam --mbox /tmp/2learn

In kmail it's possible to configure folders to expire mail after a certain
number of days so it is self-regulating in keeping the folder size down too
if you set it to a few days.

I find this a dead easy way to handle incoming mail that is not marked as
spam. I just drag and drop it in the spam folder and forget about it. Perhaps
your cron job could scan all users' spam folders and do something similar.

There's also the issue of which user is learning the spam. I do mine sitewide
(for me, Mrs Dougie and the cat). I'm assuming you're doing something
similar, rather than have different users operating their own spamassassin
database.

Dougie

Re: Question regarding SA learn

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Quoting Mário Gamito <ga...@netual.pt>:

> Hi,
>
> I've created an account called spam@mydomain.com and told all my clients
> that when they receive a SPAM message not marked as such, to forward it
>   to that account.
>
> Then, i thought of everyday runnig in crontab, something like:
>

> 53 23 * * * root /usr/bin/sa-learn --spam
> /home/vpopmail/domains/mydomain.com/spam/Maildir/new
>

> But then, it came to my mind, that in this way, the e-mail addresses of
> my clients that forwards the messages will be caught in the SA learn fire.
>
> Any ideias how to avoid that, or other way to make it right ?

You cant achieve the expected outcome using this method.  sa-learn needs the
original spam messages unaltered.  Forwarding it to another account will
introduce new headers which will alter the results.  You can however forward
the original email as an attachment and then use the attachment for sa-learn
but this is a little more difficult to do using cron as you need to
extract the
attachment.  Check the archives though..there have been many
discussions on this
topic in the past.

Jim