Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by alain siani <as...@wanadoo.fr> on 2002/03/20 16:18:38 UTC

htaccess

Good day,

I want to activate ".htaccess"
so i do :

httpd.conf :

<Directory />
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

<Directory monServeurWeb>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

But now the document root is protected too but there is no .htaccess !
How can i do to unprotect only folder witch have no .htaccess

thanks a lot,
--
---
Alain

Re: htaccess

Posted by alain <as...@wanadoo.fr>.
i found the problem,
i have the bad folder name in <Directory "/var/www"> au lieu de <Directory
"/home/www">

now it run !
Thanks a lot !
Alain

Le Mercredi 20 Mars 2002 17:19, vous avez écrit :
> leave default to None, set AllowOverride AuthInfo for dir you want to
> protect, say "/var/www/foobar", put .htaccess to /var/www/foobar and
> there require authentication with "Require" directive. Be sure to read
> mod_auth manual. There're also excelent documents about other
> directives ;-) on http://httpd.apache.org/
>
> îÁ 2002.03.20 17:55 alain ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ:
> > By default there is :
> >
> > <Directory />
> > AllowOverride None
> > </Directory>
> >
> > so nothing run.
> >
> > I want :
> >
> > no htaccess file = Allow to acces folder
> > one htaccess file = Don't access
> >
> > thks thks thks thks !!!! i need your help i don't understand !
> >
> > Alain
> >
> > Le Mercredi 20 Mars 2002 16:37, vous avez écrit :
> > > ..htaccess is "active" by default. what you do with "AllowOverride"
> >
> > is
> >
> > > allowing .htaccess overriding certain configuration params
> > > (authentication in your case). That configaration spreads down to
> > > subdirectories unless explicitly overwritten there.
> > >
> > >   If directory appears to be protected, it means that it was made so
> > > either from httpd.conf or some .htaccess in parent directories.
> > >
> > > îÁ 2002.03.20 17:18 alain siani ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ:

> > .htaccess !

---
Alain

Re: htaccess

Posted by Artiom Morozov <ar...@phreaker.net>.

Re: htaccess

Posted by alain <as...@wanadoo.fr>.
By default there is :

<Directory />
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

so nothing run.

I want :

no htaccess file = Allow to acces folder
one htaccess file = Don't access

thks thks thks thks !!!! i need your help i don't understand !

Alain

Le Mercredi 20 Mars 2002 16:37, vous avez écrit :
> ..htaccess is "active" by default. what you do with "AllowOverride" is
> allowing .htaccess overriding certain configuration params
> (authentication in your case). That configaration spreads down to
> subdirectories unless explicitly overwritten there.
>
>   If directory appears to be protected, it means that it was made so
> either from httpd.conf or some .htaccess in parent directories.
>
> îÁ 2002.03.20 17:18 alain siani ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ:
> > Good day,
> >
> > I want to activate ".htaccess"
> > so i do :
> >
> > httpd.conf :
> >
> > <Directory />
> > AllowOverride AuthConfig
> > </Directory>
> >
> > <Directory monServeurWeb>
> > AllowOverride AuthConfig
> > </Directory>
> >
> > But now the document root is protected too but there is no .htaccess !
> > How can i do to unprotect only folder witch have no .htaccess
> >

> > thanks a lot,

---
Alain

Re: htaccess

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
alain wrote:

> I don't want to protect "/" but i want to protect "/folder1"
> what do i put for :
>
> <Directory />
>  AllowOverride ???
> </Directory>

??? = None

this will switch off Overriding in all sub-directories. Then you switch
it on again for the folder with the .htaccess file:

> <Directory /path/to/folder1>
>  AllowOverride AuthConfig
> </Directory>

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

PS Overriding is just a method to get directives in .htaccess files
taken into the configuration. It is not essential for password
protection. You can also put the authentication directives directly into
httpd.conf and eliminate the .htaccess files, e.g.

<Directory />
 AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory /path/to/folder1>
    AuthType      Basic
    AuthName      "Restricted Area "
    AuthUserFile  /path/to/passwd/file.pwd
    require       valid-user
</Directory>

Re: htaccess

Posted by alain <as...@wanadoo.fr>.
I don't want to protect "/" but i want to protect "/folder1"
what do i put for :

<Directory />
 AllowOverride ???
</Directory>

thks a lot
Alain

Le Mercredi 20 Mars 2002 16:37, vous avez écrit :
> ..htaccess is "active" by default. what you do with "AllowOverride" is
> allowing .htaccess overriding certain configuration params
> (authentication in your case). That configaration spreads down to
> subdirectories unless explicitly overwritten there.
>
>   If directory appears to be protected, it means that it was made so
> either from httpd.conf or some .htaccess in parent directories.
>
> îÁ 2002.03.20 17:18 alain siani ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ:
> > Good day,
> >
> > I want to activate ".htaccess"
> > so i do :
> >
> > httpd.conf :
> >
> > <Directory />
> > AllowOverride AuthConfig
> > </Directory>
> >
> > <Directory monServeurWeb>
> > AllowOverride AuthConfig
> > </Directory>
> >
> > But now the document root is protected too but there is no .htaccess !
> > How can i do to unprotect only folder witch have no .htaccess
> >

> > thanks a lot,

---
Alain

Re: htaccess