Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au> on 2003/11/20 23:57:53 UTC

Maven Development Roadmap (thread wrap up)

Ok, let's see if I can take a stab at this roadmap and wrap up all the
ongoing threads. This can be added to the wiki later.

Maven 1.0: existing branch to be recreated at the point of last merge on
HEAD, all of HEAD must be on it except POMv4.
- MAVEN-1_0-BRANCH will be the development path for Maven core up until 1.0,
which will be cleaning up the contexts and bugfixing only.
- It is not 100% stable. It can build itself though, and the problems are in
touchstone via the reactor.
- plugins can be worked on where there are "1.0" bugs slated for them. We
should have a solid release of all plugins and designate them "1.0 worthy"
as soon as possible.

Maven 1.1: work on HEAD.
- integrate POMv4. I would suggest we should do the XPP/Betwixt removal
stuff at the same time. POM loading should probably be an interface, and
separate implementations of loading POMv3 and POMv4 made.
- integrate Wagon and other possibly components
- add other highly requested features, fix more bugs, refactor. We need to
start deciding what in JIRA should be aimed at 1.1 and what shouldn't.

Maven 1.x: as above, shorter release cycles. Branch for RCs as we are doing
now.

Maven 2.0: will also be on HEAD in the same fashion. This is the component
driven Maven, also known as maven-new, Maven NG, etc.

Other bits:
- I'd strongly encourage anyone who wants to work on something to try
knocking off 1.0 JIRA bugs.
- Regarding Michal's suggestions about maven-experimental: I think this is
less managable than having a continuous integration via one CVS tree, and
harder to merge later (as Vincent has just pointed out).
- All of the above is maven core stuff. The plugins can go their merry way
now. The compatibility discussion will be important for 1.1 because it will
allow more separation (implementing plugin features that depend on new POM
features, for example).

How does this sound? Can we keep all discussion in one thread now?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Maven Development Roadmap (thread wrap up)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 17:57, Brett Porter wrote:

[snip]

> How does this sound? Can we keep all discussion in one thread now?

I agree with all of it.

+1

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Maven Development Roadmap (thread wrap up)

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

+1

> - plugins can be worked on where there are "1.0" bugs slated for them.
We
> should have a solid release of all plugins and designate them "1.0
worthy"
> as soon as possible.

I think there should be no plugins with 1.0 bugs slated on them as we
wish to separate them from the core. I think what we should do is
package the latest release of all plugins in 1.0 final release.

> Maven 1.1: work on HEAD.
> - integrate POMv4. I would suggest we should do the XPP/Betwixt
removal
> stuff at the same time. POM loading should probably be an interface,
and
> separate implementations of loading POMv3 and POMv4 made.
> - integrate Wagon and other possibly components
> - add other highly requested features, fix more bugs, refactor. We
need to
> start deciding what in JIRA should be aimed at 1.1 and what shouldn't.

+1

> Maven 1.x: as above, shorter release cycles. Branch for RCs as we are
> doing
> now.

+1

> Maven 2.0: will also be on HEAD in the same fashion. This is the
component
> driven Maven, also known as maven-new, Maven NG, etc.

+1

> Other bits:
> - I'd strongly encourage anyone who wants to work on something to try
> knocking off 1.0 JIRA bugs.

agreed

> - Regarding Michal's suggestions about maven-experimental: I think
this is
> less managable than having a continuous integration via one CVS tree,
and
> harder to merge later (as Vincent has just pointed out).

agreed

> - All of the above is maven core stuff. The plugins can go their merry
way
> now. The compatibility discussion will be important for 1.1 because it
> will
> allow more separation (implementing plugin features that depend on new
POM
> features, for example).

agreed

> How does this sound? Can we keep all discussion in one thread now?

Ok :-)

Thanks
-Vincent