Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Paolo Patierno <pp...@live.com> on 2017/09/13 11:40:25 UTC

Admin Client : no way to create topic with default partitions and replication factor

Hi devs,

taking a look at the Admin Client API and the related implementation it seems that :

  *   the CreateTopics request allows you to have "num_partitions" and "replication_factor" with -1 as value (it means unset) which is used when you specify the "replica_assignment" instead
  *   the NewTopic available constructor doesn't allow you to use such a feature. Even trying to pass null as "replicaAssignments" throws an exception because a collection is built there.

I think that it could be useful from an administrative point of view having this possibility as it already happens when you have auto creation enabled and a topic is created with default partitions and replicas when a consumer/producer asks for metadata (and the topic doesn't exist).

Of course this proposal needs a KIP because we are changing the Admin Client API (but not breaking). Other than a change in the admin client side it will need a change in the broker as well because the current path (when a create topic request comes) doesn't handle the -1 values for "num_partitions" and "replication_factor", so it needs to set default values in this case.

What do you think about that ?

Thanks.

Paolo Patierno
Senior Software Engineer (IoT) @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Windows Embedded & IoT
Microsoft Azure Advisor

Twitter : @ppatierno<http://twitter.com/ppatierno>
Linkedin : paolopatierno<http://it.linkedin.com/in/paolopatierno>
Blog : DevExperience<http://paolopatierno.wordpress.com/>

Fw: Admin Client : no way to create topic with default partitions and replication factor

Posted by Paolo Patierno <pp...@live.com>.
Maybe it could of interest for users as well.