Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Friedrich <ft...@frontwire.com> on 2001/03/29 11:08:36 UTC

Getting Cocoon to talk to a mysql database

Greetings all,

Is there anywhere I can find some more documentation on the esql package? I
would like to query a mysql database but the example seems to do  postgresql.
What I would like to do is get information from a mysql database and use
that info in my xml documents.

My apologies that this a very vague question but is there a resource somewhere
where I can get details on getting cocoon to talk to a mysql database. Basically
I just need something to get me started with using databases with xml.

Possibly I just need to do more research into how xml works in general but any
help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Regards, Friedrich

Re: Getting Cocoon to talk to a mysql database

Posted by Friedrich <ft...@frontwire.com>.
Thanks alot, that is very helpful, unfortunatly I have been real busy so I
have not tried it yet but just to let you know I appreciate your response.

Thanks, Friedrich

SV: Getting Cocoon to talk to a mysql database

Posted by Pal Wester <pa...@florence.never.no>.
esql is not made for one particular database.
when using mysql, you have to have a jdbc
driver for mysql. I use mm.mysql jdbcdriver
you'll find more info here:
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/api-jdbc.html

Assuming you use mm.mysql you have to change
the driver in the examples. the line would look
somthing like this:
<esql:driver>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</esql:driver>

Or use conectionpooling. You set it up in
your cocoon.properties file:
processor.xsp.pool.database.poolname.driver=org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
processor.xsp.pool.database.poolname.url=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mydatab
ase
processor.xsp.pool.database.poolname.username=myusername
processor.xsp.pool.database.poolname.password=mypasswd
processor.xsp.pool.database.poolname.maxConnections=15
processor.xsp.pool.database.poolname.expiryTime=3600000

then instead of the <esql:driver,user,dburl,password/> u
only have to use <esql:pool>poolname</esql:pool>

enjoy :o)

mvh: Pal Wester <ma...@never.no>
hogskoleingenor/programmerer