Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Shaikh Ahmed <rn...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/05 00:20:05 UTC

Re-installation of Kafka cluster

Hi,

We have Kafka version 0.8.1 cluster installed on our 11 servers. we would
like to discard the entire cluster and do the re-installation.

Please help me with the steps to achieve this exercise.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Riyaz

Re: Re-installation of Kafka cluster

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
If you don't care about preserving the old data, the steps to re-install
would be very similar to the initial install. You will have to delete the
existing zookeeper namespace and then set up the new cluster to point to
it. Alternatively, you can just use a new zookeeper namespace and treat it
like a fresh installation. Are you trying to do this while clients are
still talking to the older cluster? In that case, you can do this
differently by replacing one broker at a time. The way to do that would be
to shut down Kafka on the old machine and restart it with the same broker
id on the new machine. Then let it catch up and do the same on the
remaining brokers.

Thanks,
Neha