Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Jeff Klukas <jk...@mozilla.com> on 2018/12/27 14:03:19 UTC

Re: Evolving a Coder for an added field

Picking this back up, I've modified the PR [0] to add a MetadataCoderV2
that encodes/decodes the new lastModifiedMillis, and MetadataCoder now
provides a default -1 value for lastModifiedMillis when decoding to
maintain compatibility. The intent is to follow the same pattern as the
existing TableDestinationCoderV2. MetadataCoder remains the default
registered coder for Metadata, so MetadataCoderV2 is strictly opt-in at
this point.

I'm hoping to get review on the above so the change can be available in the
short term, while work continues to understand the way forward for coder
versioning. I added a link to this thread to BEAM-3616 [1] which already
captures the need for coder versioning.

https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6914
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-3616