Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dave J Dandeneau <Da...@viant.com> on 2002/03/11 23:32:58 UTC

/servlet is the industry standard?

Our current client is inquiring why we are not using /servlet as the prefix to our URIs. They are saying that /servlet is the industry standard. I have argued that a struts application only has one servlet (possibly two if you include the validator) and therefore  it wouldn't make any sense to do it that way in a struts application.

Is this truly an industry standard? Would there be any reasoning to try to mimic this?

Can this even be done if you have multiple web-apps?

Wouldn't it look more like <domain>/<contextpath>/servlet and not <domain>/servlet?

dave dandeneau

RE: /servlet is the industry standard?

Posted by Robert <rm...@bull-enterprises.com>.
It may have been a non-written 'standard' back before the WebAppliation
came along, i.e. the .war file. Back then servlets were mapped via the
/servlet URL so that web servers knew how to send the request to servlet
engines. At least it was that way in everything I saw.

I never use the /servlet anymore, and nor does anyone else I know. It
just isn't really needed, for the reasons you mention. Most people don't
write just servlets anymore, they use JSPs and one or two controllers.

HTH,
Robert