Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1995/03/21 17:06:54 UTC

The future, for Apache and NCSA httpd

RobT wrote,
> In any case, there's a nontrivial probability that we'll want to
> transition to an NCSA 1.4 code base in the not too distant future
> (i.e., weeks).

I think we'll have to make a decission when we see 1.4 whether to
attempt to merge their changes into Apache or not. Things that
are still unresolved Re: NCSA 1.4  are,

  a)  will the license change to stop us borrowing any new code
  b)  where do NCSA see httpd development going ?

After attending a talk by Adam Caine of NCSA recently, I was given
the impression from some of the material he showed and the software
he was demonstrating, that NCSA have been very busy implementing
security mechanisms into their cleint and server software, and have
been working with EIT (and others?).

My opinion of (b), based on incomplete information, is that NCSA httpd
is moving from being the "people's server" to a testbed for new idea.
As such, I think they are neglecting the needs of Joe Average who just
wants content negotition, custom error logging etc.
This is not a criticism of NCSA's approach - their job is to develop
these new technologies, and not to be free programmers to the world.
When Rob McCool started httpd, a robust and useable server was the
new technology that had to be developed.

So if this is a reasonable prediction, I see Apache as being the
new "people's server", which will continue to implement the wish-lists
of Jow Average and grab whatever new technologies NCSA (and others) come
up with.

Rob T (I think) expressed a hope that Apache would be short
lived and die pretty soon. I hope not, I'd like to see it continue
with or without some or all of us. As a community effort, there should be
plenty of people willing to join us as well as replace people at times.

Things should be clearer when NCSA release 1.4

rob