Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alessandro Bottoni <Al...@think3.com> on 2000/07/11 12:07:40 UTC

Generating a FrameSet from a XML document

[Sorry, if you feel this question is off-topic]

I'm starting to design a Cocoon1-based web site and I would like to use a
frameset with the usual "navigation frame" on the left side, the "main
content frame" on the right, maybe a "banner frame" on the top... the usual
frame-based layout you can see in most web sites.

I wonder: how can I generate the frameset and the frames from my XML
document?
I cannot see any way to generate a new HTML file when I match, let's say, a
<page></page> tag.
(and yes: I have seen how Norman Walsh's DocBook DSSSL perform this task. I
still cannot understand how to perform it with XML/XSLT and, if required,
XSP, from within Cocoon).

In any case, it should be possible to use a XML "top level" document to
generate the framset, put in it the links to other XML documents and have
them converted to HTML frame-documents on-the-fly, right? Is there any
problem related with the sequence of request/response events between the
client and the server?

Thanks.

Alessandro Bottoni (Alessandro.Bottoni@Think3.com)
Web Programmer @ Think3 inc. (www.think3.com)
I do not speak for think3 and they return the favour

Re: Generating a FrameSet from a XML document

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Alessandro Bottoni wrote:

> [Sorry, if you feel this question is off-topic]
>
> I'm starting to design a Cocoon1-based web site and I would like to use a
> frameset with the usual "navigation frame" on the left side, the "main
> content frame" on the right, maybe a "banner frame" on the top... the usual
> frame-based layout you can see in most web sites.
>
> I wonder: how can I generate the frameset and the frames from my XML
> document?
> I cannot see any way to generate a new HTML file when I match, let's say, a
> <page></page> tag.
> (and yes: I have seen how Norman Walsh's DocBook DSSSL perform this task. I
> still cannot understand how to perform it with XML/XSLT and, if required,
> XSP, from within Cocoon).
>
> In any case, it should be possible to use a XML "top level" document to
> generate the framset, put in it the links to other XML documents and have
> them converted to HTML frame-documents on-the-fly, right? Is there any
> problem related with the sequence of request/response events between the
> client and the server?
> Thanks.

if all four frames must be generated from the same xml file (which seems
silly since they all present different data!) you can use xsp to generate
the xml-stylesheet PI depending on some criteria. cocoon2's sitemap will
make this easier, but it's not ready for prime time.

- donald