Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Abhi Auradkar <au...@yahoo.com> on 2012/03/14 07:01:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache httpd with custom module does not start when I am not running is root

All,

  I have apache httpd 2.2.21. I load a custom module into it.
When this is done I always need to be a root or sudo to start apache process.

If I run apache as any other user the command 'httpd -k start' never returns to prompt.
If I comment the LoadModule for my module apache starts fine even if I am not root.

Any pointers why is this so. Am doing something wrong while building my module?
I use apxs to compile the module.

Appreciate your help!!

Thanks,
~Abhi

Re: [users@httpd] Apache httpd with custom module does not start when I am not running is root

Posted by William Taylor <wi...@corp.sonic.net>.
On Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:01:51 PM, Abhi Auradkar wrote:

> All,
>

> I have apache httpd 2.2.21. I load a custom module into it.
> When this is done I always need to be a root or sudo to start apache
> process.
>
> If I run apache as any other user the command 'httpd -k start' never
> returns to prompt.
> If I comment the LoadModule for my module apache starts fine even if I
> am not root.
>
> Any pointers why is this so. Am doing something wrong while building
> my module?
> I use apxs to compile the module.
>
> Appreciate your help!!

If you run strace when starting apache it might give you an idea of what
is going on.
Anything in the error logs?
Apache needs to be root to bind to any port <1024.  Are you running
apache on port
higher then that? Is your module trying to bind to a port also?

Re: [users@httpd] Apache httpd with custom module does not start when I am not running is root

Posted by Tianyin Xu <ti...@cs.ucsd.edu>.
which module did you load?
Can you tell how to replay your problem?

thanks!

--
Tianyin XU,
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~tixu/