Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sonja Löhr <so...@arcor.de> on 2005/08/05 20:44:23 UTC

Font embedding again

Hello to all!

I just joined the list after one trying one day to upgrade my project.
I'm using fop-20.0.5
All worked fine with font metrics and embedding with all tomcats up to
5.0.30 under Linux.
Now I installed tomcat 5.5. on windows.
The problem with the paths while creating the metrics - ok, that's already
known. But also with my ready-to-use metrics-xmls, as soon as I add the
embed-request to the fop-config.xml, I get no output and the log states that
it never reaches page 2.
If the font to be embedded cannot be found, I get my document out - without
my font, of course.

Is there some workaround or do I have to (would it help if I ) try the CVS
versions of the new branch?

Would be very nice to finally overcome that boring font problem.

Thanks in advance!

sonja

RE: Font embedding again

Posted by Sonja Löhr <so...@arcor.de>.

> How does your
> userconfig.xml look like on Windows? Do you use the
> fontBaseDir setting?

Sorry, forgot to tell you: No, I don't use a fontBaseDir.  The fonts element
with the contents I just posted is the only element inside <configuration>
in fop-config.xml.
Perhaps these infos are also important (but all ok with that very old
tomcat):
- I rebuilt FOP with an extra german hyphenation file
- As already mentioned, the font metrics file(s) where created under Linux.

Bye!
sonja

RE: Font embedding again

Posted by Sonja Löhr <so...@arcor.de>.
Got it!!
It was not the embed-file attribute, but the metrics-file attribute itself.
Although I'm quite sure to have  tried all numbers of slashes and
backslashes, it is finally ok with:

metrics-file="file:///D:/Programme/Tomcat-5.5/webapps/pdfnewsletter/WEB-INF/
fonts/font1.xml" kerning="yes"
embed-file="E:/sonja/projekte/mainovaJ5/etc/fonts/Ss______.ttf">

Perhaps something was overwritten, as the attribute values are inserted via
ant location properties ....

Sorry for all the mailing and happy fopping !

sonja

RE: Relative URLs

Posted by Sonja Löhr <so...@arcor.de>.
Hi!
First of all: You are really a great mailing list!!
Helpful comments almost immediately, every time :-)

Setting the basedir in the config file is working - thank you!
It is no perfect solution as I still have to once more note the installation
directory, but I already reference my fonts that way and get along setting
CATALINA_HOME for Ant ...
Passing request.getServerName (and perhaps request.getServerPort()) is what
I would have used... indeed, I already do something similar in a
preprocessing step (for the simulation of floats) to manage Server (not
tomcat)-relative URLs.

Being interested generally, if anybody knows/finds the "default" of this
basedir in a servlet environment where no real fo files are written, please
let me know!

Regards,
sonja

RE: Relative URLs

Posted by Sonja Löhr <so...@arcor.de>.
Aaaaah! I misunderstood you. Yes, if I do the configuration programmatically
instead of my fop-config.xml, of course I have dynamic access to everything!
Great, I'll check now if I could reference font-metrics and embedded fonts
this way as well.

Thank you VERY much!

Re: Relative URLs

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Relative URLs

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Mike Trotman wrote:
> You could try using the 'xml:base' attribute

FOP 0.20.5 doesn't process xml:base.

J.Pietschmann

RE: Relative URLs in Servlet-created FO

Posted by Sonja Löhr <so...@arcor.de>.
Mike (and others),

I'm now very content with my configuration and will summarize it shortly:
The configuration xml is now very short:

<configuration>
<fonts>
embed-file="../ttf/Ss______.ttf">
embed-file="../ttf/Sssb____.ttf">
</fonts>
</configuration>

and my Servlet's init() starts with

 ServletContext ctx = getServletContext();
 new Options(new File(ctx.getRealPath(CONFIG_FILE)));
 org.apache.fop.configuration.Configuration.put("baseDir",
ctx.getRealPath("/"));
 org.apache.fop.configuration.Configuration.put("fontBaseDir",
ctx.getRealPath("/WEB-INF/fonts"));

The logo is referenced inside the stylesheet with:

<fo:external-graphic src="url(headers/logo2.svg)" />

 ("headers" being a directoy under the context root, "fonts" and "ttf" are
under WEB-INF)

Greetings and thanks again,
sonja

Re: Relative URLs

Posted by Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com>.

Relative URLs

RE: Font embedding again

Posted by Sonja Löhr <so...@arcor.de>.
Hi, Jeremias!
Thank you for answering!
 Nevertheless, in my servlet, I hand over my own logger to the fop-driver
Here is the "normal" log if I don't use special fonts or if the path to ttf
is simply wrong:
(this is the webapps log, since I hand over the servlets logger to the fop
driver).

[some logging of my Servlet code before fop comes into play]
05 08 19:56:18 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - building
formatting object tree
05 08 19:56:19 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - [1]
05 08 19:56:19 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - [2]
05 08 19:56:19 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - [3]
05 08 19:56:19 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - [4]
05 08 19:56:19 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - [5]
05 08 19:56:19 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - [6]
05 08 19:56:19 DEBUG  com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (42) - Last
page-sequence produced 6 pages.
05 08 19:56:19 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - Parsing of
document complete, stopping renderer
05 08 19:56:19 DEBUG  com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (42) - Initial heap
size: 5210Kb
05 08 19:56:19 DEBUG  com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (42) - Current heap
size: 6022Kb
05 08 19:56:19 DEBUG  com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (42) - Total memory
used: 812Kb
05 08 19:56:19 DEBUG  com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (42) -   Memory use
is indicative; no GC was performed
05 08 19:56:19 DEBUG  com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (42) -   These
figures should not be used comparatively
05 08 19:56:19 DEBUG  com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (42) - Total time
used: 593ms
05 08 19:56:19 DEBUG  com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (42) - Pages
rendered: 6
05 08 19:56:19 DEBUG  com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (42) - Avg render
time: 98ms/page

When embedding the font, the log looks like this:

[some logging of my Servlet code before fop comes into play]
06 08 08:26:17 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - building
formatting object tree
06 08 08:26:18 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - [1]
06 08 08:26:27 INFO   com.dietzk.fo.FopTransformServlet (73) - [1]

nothing more. With some modifications on the paths not even the two [1]
lines show up.
There is no tomcat error message on the screen but simply a transparent
browser tab on firefox and in IE the 404 error page. (But the webapp was
found and run)
In tomcat logs, I don't find any error message either.

And here is the current version of fop-config.xml (I tried a lot with
windows path and URI versions:

metrics-file="file://D:/Programme/Tomcat-5.5/webapps/pdfnewsletter/WEB-INF/f
onts/font1.xml" kerning="yes"
embed-file="E:\sonja\projekte\mainovaJ5\etc\fonts\Sssb____.ttf">
metrics-file="file://D:/Programme/Tomcat-5.5/webapps/pdfnewsletter/WEB-INF/f
onts/font1_b.xml" kerning="yes"
embed-file="E:\sonja\projekte\mainovaJ5\etc\fonts\Ss______.ttf">

No better if I change to forward slashes in the embed-file attribute. It
works well with tomcat 4.1.24 under Windows. For the win/linux problem: I
haven't yet tried tomcat 5.5 under Linux, only 5.0.30 ;-)
If I tried even more tomcats and learn more at least for the statistics ;-),
I'll write again.

Thanks again!
sonja

Re: Font embedding again

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Funny. Some people have no problem on Windows and when they move to
Linux. Bonk! Sorry, Peter, if I had an idea about your problem I'd chime
in. No Linux here to test. :-( And now you, exactly the other way around.
Hmm.

So, Sonja, did you check all the log output closely? Any error or
warning messages you could show us? How does your userconfig.xml look