Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Dagang Wei <fu...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/16 20:57:48 UTC

Why the dependencies on bigtop-* packages are not reflected in bigtop.bom?

Hi folks,

I noticed that hadoop depends on bigtop-utils [1]:

  Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, adduser, bigtop-utils (>=
0.7), zookeeper (>= 3.4.0), psmisc, netcat-openbsd

But it is not reflected in bigtop.bom [2]:

  dependencies = [
    zookeeper:['hadoop', 'hbase'],
    hadoop:['ignite-hadoop', 'hbase', 'crunch', 'hive', 'tez', 'sqoop',
'sqoop2',
      'oozie', 'mahout', 'flume', 'giraph', 'solr', 'spark','spark1',
      'phoenix', 'alluxio', 'kafka', 'ycsb', 'hama', 'zeppelin',
      'tajo', 'apex'
    ],
    hbase:['phoenix','giraph','ycsb','hive'],
    hive:['oozie', 'zeppelin'],
    'ignite-hadoop':['zeppelin'],
    spark:['zeppelin']
  ]

Why is that? Should we add it?

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/master/bigtop-packages/src/deb/hadoop/control#L26
[2]: https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/master/bigtop.bom#L111

Re: Why the dependencies on bigtop-* packages are not reflected in bigtop.bom?

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi Dagang,

If you look at the individual bigtop-packages/src/common/*/do-component-builds you may notice most of the Maven builds will call
"mvn install". As you may know this command  installs the compiled maven artifacts in the local maven repository.

Zookeeper for instance populates itself into the maven cache with mvn install:install-file since it compile process is ant.

So if you are compiling bigtop in the right order without trashing mvn local repository, you end up picking up the artifacts you are compiled before. That's what I wanted to express as "build time dependency"

Our release builds are build that way ... btw

Best,
Olaf

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Yes, you can but you'll end up with dependencies built elsewhere by
someone you might not trust in an environment you don't control.
That's the big problem right there. And we want Bigtop stack to be
consistent.

--
  With regards,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.

Posted by Dagang Wei <fu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi