Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Wolfgang Miller-Reichling <wo...@webde-ag.de> on 2005/06/27 17:32:38 UTC

Customization for "anonymous" users

Hi everybody,

I'm quite new to Jetspeed and have a few questions regarding
customization. If I understand correctly, customized portal pages for a
specific user are stored as .psml in WEB-INF/pages/user/<username>.
What I'd like to do is to give anonymous users (meaning without logging
into the portal, maybe identified through a cookie) the possibility to
customize their own view to the portal. Could this be done by
automatically creating a new user for everyone using the portal that
cannot be identified? If yes, where would be a good starting point to do
this? (Of course I'd have to "expire" unused user profiles every once in
a while).

Wolfgang

Re: Customization for "anonymous" users

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Wolfgang

> I actually need/want the new user accounts
>to be created completely automatic, preferably with a different role
>than non-automatic users. Do you have any pointers how I would start
>doing this?

Not sure of the best approach. I'd look at implementing a custom
UserManager that
provides the PSML account creation and perhaps some security SPI
extensions to
customize Authentication/Authorization. YMMV.

Please refer to the list, (and the dev list) archives for more detailed
tips.

Randy

Re: Customization for "anonymous" users

Posted by Wolfgang Miller-Reichling <wo...@webde-ag.de>.
Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net> wrote:

> The anon user is always mapped to the "guest" user in J2. To use the
> customized pages, the end user should be logged into J2. There are
> plenty of ways to accomplish this.

> Another option might be to use advanded profiling rules to descriminate
> users all officially known as "guest" by J2... but I would not start there.

> Automatic user page creation is not implemented AFAIK. In the future,
> the page customizer will be able to do this. Of course, using official
> logins will be preferred.

> I too have a requirement to allow guest users to request an official
> login, but that the access be granted later by an admin. Do you new user
> accounts need to be truely automatic or simply streamlined?

Thanks for your answer Randy. I actually need/want the new user accounts

*

Re: Customization for "anonymous" users

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Wolfgang,