Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Theo Petersen <th...@acsp.com> on 2000/02/24 17:21:14 UTC

Makefile.PL should notify that Configuration moved

A funny thing happened on the way to Apache 1.3.9, mod_perl 1.21:

We use mod_unique_id to generate session ids for CGI programs (using the
id of an initial login and ignoring the values for other requests in the
session).  I set up our server initially by configuring in
mod_unique_id, then adding mod_perl later on.

Later, we had a customer who claimed they couldn't get mod_unique_id to
appear in the module list in spite of adding it to src/Configuration and
rebuilding as instructed.  I couldn't produce the problem here, so as
with many such problems, I filed it in my "interesting but not
important" list and went on.

Now I'm setting up a new server and inadvertantly reproduced the
problem.  In this case I configured a bare-bones Apache, then built
mod_perl, then tried to add in mod_unique_id (uncommented it in
src/Configuration and did another make && make install).  When I ran
httpd -l mod_unique_id didn't appear in the module list.

I then rebuilt Apache without mod_perl, added in mod_unique_id to make
sure it worked without mod_perl (it does), then added in mod_perl.  Both
modules appear in the module list when I do things in that order.

I figured that if I posted all of this as-is I'd get a pointer from Stas
telling me where the Guide covers it already :)  It's true, it does, but
it's somewhat less that forthcoming and assumes the reader is going to
read the Guide in detail before installing mod_perl.  (Come on, we're
talking about programmers here.)
Since mod_perl installation from CPAN is so trivial, I suggest that
Makefile.PL print a message at the end of a successful run reminding the
installer that the Configuration file has moved.  That is, instead of
(or in addition to) the message at the beginning:

Using config file: /usr/local/CPAN/build/mod_perl-1.21/src/Configuration

(which quickly gets lost in the scroll on my system) print a message
after the Makefiles are created to tell the installer that the new
Configuration file is in effect.

Regards,
..Theo