Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Maciej & Branka <mm...@sympatico.ca> on 2003/08/23 10:31:40 UTC

Imported subdirectory checkout problems

Hi I'm the first time user of the subvision version 0.27. compiled on SuSe 8.2.

I have noticed a strange behavior when I tried to accessed (checkout) a subdirectory
within the repository right after the import. What I did was:

 1 - svnadmin create /path/to/repository
 2 - cd /local/directory
 3 - svn import test file:///path/to/repository -m ""

test directory has layout: test/stuff
Now if I try to checkout test as:

 svn co file:///path/to/repository            => OK
 svn co file:///path/to/repository/test/stuff => WRONG!!!

 I'm getting:

svn: Bad URL passed to RA layer
svn: Source URL doesn't exist: file:///path/to/repository/test/stuff.

But, if I checkout file:///path/to/repository move stuff to stuff_second
check it in and do:
svn co file:///path/to/repository/test/stuff_second => IT WORKS

In summary:
You can't checkout an imported subdirectory unless you have moved it.
Is it correct behavior, bug or am I missing something?

Maciej

Re: Imported subdirectory checkout problems

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 6:31 AM -0400 8/23/03, Maciej & Branka wrote:
>I have noticed a strange behavior when I tried to accessed
>(checkout) a subdirectory
>within the repository right after the import. What I did was:
>
>  1 - svnadmin create /path/to/repository
>  2 - cd /local/directory
>  3 - svn import
>test <file:///path/to/repository>file:///path/to/repository -m ""
>
>test directory has layout: test/stuff
>Now if I try to checkout test as:
>
>  svn co <file:///path/to/repository>file:///path/to/repository
>=> OK
>  svn co
><file:///path/to/repository/test/stuff>file:///path/to/repository/test/stuff
>=> WRONG!!!
>
>  I'm getting:
>
>svn: Bad URL passed to RA layer
>svn: Source URL doesn't exist:
><file:///path/to/repository/test/stuff>file:///path/to/repository/test/stuff.
>
>But, if I checkout
><file:///path/to/repository>file:///path/to/repository move stuff to
>stuff_second
>check it in and do:
>svn co <>file:///path/to/repository/test/stuff_second => IT WORKS

What you expect, should in fact work (having imported stuff, it
darned well ought to be there).  What you had to do to get around it
oughtn't to be necessary.  Your reflexes are sound.

However, when I follow your recipe, I don't get quite the results you
describe/expect.  Specifically, when I "svn import test
file:///path/to/repository", I create a new folder named "stuff" --
*not* "test".  The import syntax equates the folder "repository" with
the folder "test", causing the *contents* of "test" to be imported
into "repository," not "test" itself.  That would explain why your
subsequent attempt to checkout ".../repository/test/..." fails: there
ain't no such aminal.  One would think that it would mess up some of
your later experiments as well, but you're not quite as explicit
about them, so I can't be sure (and I'm quite certain that I, for
one, am quite capable of fumbling things like this without noticing).

Could this be the source of the confusion?

(Note that I tried this with 0.26, where the import syntax is
reversed, but I don't think this question of whether test goes *into*
repository or *becomes* repository changed.)
--
-==-
Jack Repenning