Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Saurabh Chandra <ch...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/19 13:37:19 UTC

How to reconnect gracefully?

Hi,

I have an embedded activemq broker inside tomcat and a consumer
running on another tomcat server. I am able to start the broker, post
messages to a topic from a producer inside the broker tomcat itself,
which are recieved by a consumer listening on the consumer tomcat.
Using activemq 4.0 with spring.

I want to configure a graceful restart of the client tomcat, so thatI
can  restart the consumer tomcat and have it again listen to the topic

The scenario gives me an exception that the client-id already exists
(when the consumer wants to reconnect) and I have to restart the
broker and delete the journal for it to be able to reconnect. I
suspect that the client-id is registered with the broker and the new
client has to somehow resume connection instead of starting again. Can
someone point me to an exact solution?

thanks much
Saurabh

Re: How to reconnect gracefully?

Posted by Saurabh Chandra <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I found a clue to the solution in another response on the forum which led me to
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/how-can-i-support-auto-reconnection.html

I changed the connection uri to use failover and now reconnects happen
smoothly for a client restarting as well as a broker restarting or
being killed.

Will report the issue with test code in case it surfaces again.

thanks
Saurabh

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
think that junit test could be created to simulate this?

On 7/19/06, Saurabh Chandra <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an embedded activemq broker inside tomcat and a consumer
> running on another tomcat server. I am able to start the broker, post
> messages to a topic from a producer inside the broker tomcat itself,
> which are recieved by a consumer listening on the consumer tomcat.
> Using activemq 4.0 with spring.
>
> I want to configure a graceful restart of the client tomcat, so thatI
> can  restart the consumer tomcat and have it again listen to the topic
>
> The scenario gives me an exception that the client-id already exists
> (when the consumer wants to reconnect) and I have to restart the
> broker and delete the journal for it to be able to reconnect. I
> suspect that the client-id is registered with the broker and the new
> client has to somehow resume connection instead of starting again. Can
> someone point me to an exact solution?
>
> thanks much
> Saurabh

Hiram