Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2008/11/06 22:06:35 UTC

[fulcrum] Preparing vote to release M2 parent pom ....

Hi folks,

before I start a vote regarding M2 parent pom for fulcrum I would like
to discuss a few things to avoid iterations. The parent pom is found in
fulcrum/trunk/parent/pom.xml - the pom is copy&wasted from Apache
Commons so there is a good chance that it works.

1) Maven GroupId

Which groupId to use for the parent POM

1.1) "fulcrum" - backward compatible but deprecated
1,2) "org.apache.turbine.fulcrum" - would be the proper one a Turbine
subproject
1.3) "org.apache.fulcrum" - would match the package names

I lean more towards 1.3) and 1.2)

2) maven-one-plugin

I'm currently using the maven-one-plugin to install M2 artifacts in an
existing M1 repo. It is convinient but I would like to kick it out -
it's difficult to disable functionality defined in a pom and depending
on 1) it might be broken anyway

3) Current State of M2 Assimilation

I converted around a dozen Fulcrum projects - so as soon as we have the
parent pom out I have to do a couple of releases. I hope that the parent
pom is good enough to do that quickly ....

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: [fulcrum] Preparing vote to release M2 parent pom ....

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Which groupId to use for the parent POM

IIRC, we discussed this before.

See
http://markmail.org/message/k4a35xkc376eghk4?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Eturbine%2Edev+fulcrum+parent+pom+from:%22Siegfried+Goeschl%22&page=1

> 1.1) "fulcrum" - backward compatible but deprecated
> 1,2) "org.apache.turbine.fulcrum" - would be the proper one a Turbine
> subproject
> 1.3) "org.apache.fulcrum" - would match the package names

+1 for 1.3)

> 2) maven-one-plugin
>
> I'm currently using the maven-one-plugin to install M2 artifacts in an
> existing M1 repo. It is convinient but I would like to kick it out -
> it's difficult to disable functionality defined in a pom and depending
> on 1) it might be broken anyway

Which M1-repo do you mean? A private one? If so, you might want to have
a look at archiva or some other repository manager application. The
usually have the ability to provide transparent M1 and M2 access AFAICS.

> 3) Current State of M2 Assimilation
>
> I converted around a dozen Fulcrum projects - so as soon as we have the
> parent pom out I have to do a couple of releases. I hope that the parent
> pom is good enough to do that quickly ....

Would you please list these candidates? I'd like to help if that is
possible, especially since my Fulcrum-Cache release failed so miserably...

Bye, Thomas

Re: [fulcrum] Preparing vote to release M2 parent pom ....

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> before I start a vote regarding M2 parent pom for fulcrum I would like
> to discuss a few things to avoid iterations. The parent pom is found in
> fulcrum/trunk/parent/pom.xml - the pom is copy&wasted from Apache
> Commons so there is a good chance that it works.
>

> 1) Maven GroupId
>
> Which groupId to use for the parent POM
>
> 1.1) "fulcrum" - backward compatible but deprecated
> 1,2) "org.apache.turbine.fulcrum" - would be the proper one a Turbine
> subproject
> 1.3) "org.apache.fulcrum" - would match the package names
>
> I lean more towards 1.3) and 1.2)

I agree - 1.3 makes sense, unless there are any unwritten rules out
there that make a good case for 1.2

> 2) maven-one-plugin
>
> I'm currently using the maven-one-plugin to install M2 artifacts in an
> existing M1 repo. It is convinient but I would like to kick it out -
> it's difficult to disable functionality defined in a pom and depending
> on 1) it might be broken anyway

The turbine core is currently built using m1, so we need to switch it
over to m2 before we stop providing m1 artifacts for any turbine ore
dependencies.  Let's not do anything however that gets in the way of the
2.3.3 release.

> 3) Current State of M2 Assimilation
>
> I converted around a dozen Fulcrum projects - so as soon as we have the
> parent pom out I have to do a couple of releases. I hope that the parent
> pom is good enough to do that quickly ....

Between Thomas, you and I, we should be able to keep things moving.

Scott