Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Karr, David" <da...@attws.com> on 2002/08/07 22:39:17 UTC

References for good directory structures for J2EE apps?

Sorry if this isn't directly on-topic, but I'm not sure where else people
would deal directly with this.

Is there some reference or article that talks about any directory structure
guidelines for a J2EE application?  I've come to my own conclusions, but I'm
wondering if someone has codified some of these thoughts.  I've noticed the
simple implied recommendations in things like O'Reilly's Ant book, and I saw
the Jakarta recommended structure.  The main thing I'm wondering about is
when the J2EE application is building multiple modules, web applications and
EJB modules, etcetera.  The simplest way (yeah, yeah, Occam's Razor) is
probably just to have "web" and "ejb" directories and have the top-level
"build.xml" just call "ant" on those directories.  Are there any other good
recommendations that have been written up?

(I'm writing a justification document for my decisions, which is why I'm
looking for published references.)

RE: References for good directory structures for J2EE apps?

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.
Anything beyond what the spec requires is just a matter of personal
preference.

If you want to see what the gurus do, just download some sample
applications, and look at the source code.

Examples:
struts-example (in the Struts distribution)
Tomcat's Administrative app (Tomcat's distribution)
struts-tiles (in the Struts distribution)

Good Luck!

James Mitchell
Software Engineer\Struts Evangelist
Struts-Atlanta, the "Open Minded Developer Network"
http://www.open-tools.org/struts-atlanta

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.