Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Rick H <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/29 20:17:39 UTC

Noob question -- What is Batik?

I played with SVG stuff, and started to notice Batik project.

To my understanding, Batik is java SVG engine/viewer, which allows ppl to
embed SVG in rich java applications. I just don't see Batik has big
advantange on web, since ppl can always use vanilla SVG pluggin in their
browsers.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rick

Re: Noob question -- What is Batik?

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It has another potential role of providing you with a standardized way of
> deploying your SVG-based application.  Suppose you've built an application
> that uses SVG as the user interface.  You want to insure that the JavaScript
> interactions work across all platforms, and all browsers.  Rather than
> writing several versions of your app, you simply write one version, and use
> an applet to display the results.  You also get access to a wide variety of
> libraries that you can use to shorten the development time.

Another potential is write SVG Editor application like us

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--
Sketsa SVG Editor
http://www.kiyut.com

Re: Noob question -- What is Batik?

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
It has another potential role of providing you with a standardized way of
deploying your SVG-based application.  Suppose you've built an application
that uses SVG as the user interface.  You want to insure that the JavaScript
interactions work across all platforms, and all browsers.  Rather than
writing several versions of your app, you simply write one version, and use
an applet to display the results.  You also get access to a wide variety of
libraries that you can use to shorten the development time.

Regards,

Mark

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Rick H <ri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I just wanted to find out in what situation Batick would be a good option.
>
> I guess the main advantage is that Batik, as java SVG toolset,  can be
> easily integrated with some Java applications, especially rich java app
> which requires some 2D graphic/animnation.
>
> Rick
>

> Mork wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > batik isnt a viewer for SVG, its an API or toolset for SVG. With batik
> > you can generate, manipulate or transcode SVG in your java applications.
> > Here's the intro from the batik site:
> >
> > " With Batik, you can manipulate SVG documents anywhere Java is
> > available. You can also use the various Batik modules
> > <http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/using/index.html> to generate
> > <http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/using/svg-generator.html>,
> > manipulate <http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/using/dom-api.html> and
> > transcode <http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/using/transcoder.html>
> > SVG images in your applications or applets."
> >
> > Rick H schrieb:
> >> I played with SVG stuff, and started to notice Batik project.
> >>
> >> To my understanding, Batik is java SVG engine/viewer, which allows ppl
> >> embed SVG in rich java applications. I just don't see Batik has big
> >> advantange on web, since ppl can always use vanilla SVG pluggin in
> their
> >> browsers.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for any input.
> >>
> >> Rick