Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@opengroup.org> on 1997/06/18 14:33:46 UTC

Re: mod_perl + Win32

rasmus@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf) wrote:

> > I forgot to mention, mod_perl will need to wrap callbacks in a mutex
> > acquire/release until Perl is thread safe.  This will happen soon,
> > threaded-Perl shapshots are already available.  Actually, it's been
> > around over two years, the work is just getting folded in now.
>
> How do you deal with the myriad of third-party libraries like libmsql.a,
> libpq.a, libgd.a, etc..  that are not MT-Safe but may very well be called
> from Perl?

For the moment, the mutex lock/unlock around the callback should
protect such library calls.  If not, I'm not sure how to deal with
such libraries yet.  Once Perl is MT-safe, it will be up to either
users of these extensions or authors of the extensions to lock/unlock
unsafe calls.  mod_perl could also provide a directive, say,
`PerlCallLock On' that would lock each callback as it does now.  Since
each child can only handle a single callback at any given time, there
might be a performance hit, but I'm quite sure it'll be small compared
to spawning Perl CGI scripts.

-Doug