Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Jourard <cg...@bytesinteractive.com> on 2000/10/20 21:33:26 UTC

Perl module - LWP

Hi,

Has anyone worked with the LWP module under mod_perl and have they found
that it works with no modification.

Thanks
David

Re: IPC::Shareable (was Re: Perl module - LWP)

Posted by Greg Cope <gr...@rubberplant.freeserve.co.uk>.
"Alexander Farber (EED)" wrote:

> "David M. Davisson" wrote:
> > Yes, it works fine.  No mods.
>
> > From: "David Jourard" <cg...@bytesinteractive.com>
> > > Has anyone worked with the LWP module under mod_perl and have they found
> > > that it works with no modification.
>
> I would like to ask the same question about IPC::Shareable.
>
> Is anybody successfully using it under Solaris or OpenBSD?
> "make test" hangs for me on these platforms and the module
> author is unreachable :-(
>
> http://vorpal.mcs.drexel.edu/bsd-ports/helix/shared-memory.html
> doesn't seem to help on OpenBSD (increasing SHMMAXPGS up to 4096)
>
> If not IPC::Shareable, what module do you use for fast
> communication between Apache-children?

IPC::ShareLite is writen in C (and hence faster (arguably)), but it does
not serial data structures, so either Freeze / Thaw or DataDumper are
you friends here.

I've seen IPC::Sharable working ok on Solaris 2.6 but cannot offer any
guideance as to why it may not work.

Greg

Re: IPC::Shareable (was Re: Perl module - LWP)

Posted by Steven Cotton <st...@cotton.dk>.
On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Alexander Farber (EED) wrote:

> Is anybody successfully using it under Solaris or OpenBSD?
> "make test" hangs for me on these platforms and the module
> author is unreachable :-(

What version of Perl are you using? I had some problems with make test,
one of the tests doesn't return and I got a few munged shared memory
segment errors, I was attempting to install under Solaris 7 and Perl
5.6.0.

> If not IPC::Shareable, what module do you use for fast
> communication between Apache-children?

I started with IPC::SharedCache since it did most of what I wanted, but
took Sam Tregars advice and went with IPC::ShareLite (and serialised all
data myself with Storables freeze & thaw methods) and it works a dream.
One thing I couldn't seem to do was delete() tied IPC::Shareable hash
elements without getting the aforementioned "munged shared memory segment"
errors, which I can do with IPC::ShareLite.

--
steven

IPC::Shareable (was Re: Perl module - LWP)

Posted by "Alexander Farber (EED)" <ee...@eed.ericsson.se>.

Re: Perl module - LWP

Posted by "David M. Davisson" <da...@ncal.verio.com>.
Yes, it works fine.  No mods.