Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2006/06/29 11:56:37 UTC

[tools] Harmony's Eclipse plug-in (was: Re: svn commit: r416738 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/init/bootclasspath.properties)

Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> On 6/29/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>> Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
>> > Geir,
>> >
>> > I am working on the patch. There is almost no problem, except that
>> > DRLVM builds its own modified version of eclipse plugin. The plugin
>> > requires eclipse for its build.
>> > I see that the same plugin exists in
>> > enhanced/tools/eclipse/org.apache.harmony.eclipse.jdt.launching.
>> > I think:
>> >  - all modifications to the plugin should go to this directory.
>> >  - drlvm should not build eclipse plugin itself, it should be built
>> > as part of tools.
>> >
>> > Correct?
>>
>> I think so.  let me ask... why do we *need* the eclipse plugin to build,
>> and even more important, why must it be modified?
>
> The purpose of modifications was AFAIK to make it compactible with the
> name of main executable: 'ij.exe'. It looks that there were also a few
> bug fixes.

It would be helpful if the bug-fixes were raised in JIRA separately so
that we can track/fix the plug-in bugs.

> As for building, the tools package seems not to have own build system.

The enhanced/tools/eclipse area does not participate in the classlib
build system because they are Eclipse-specific tools, and require an
Eclipse installation to compile against etc.  If you load the Eclipse
tools' source into Eclipse you can build from there.

The JDK tools (javac and keytool at the moment) do participate in the
classlib build system.

> The plugin is quite useful for complex testing scenarious: start
> eclipse, create and run java project from it. So, the question would
> be, how one could build plugin from tools package? I'm also thinking
> about snapshot releases of the tools.

You should load and build directly in the Eclipse framework, which is
the usual way for Eclipse plug-ins.

We keep snapshots here
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/harmony/enhanced/tools/trunk/eclipse/org.apache.harmony.eclipse.site/plugins/

We discussed having an Eclipse update site but was told that there were
plans to have an Apache-wide site.  AFAIK that has not come about.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [tools] Harmony's Eclipse plug-in (was: Re: svn commit: r416738 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/init/bootclasspath.properties)

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for this clarification.

On 6/29/06, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ivan Volosyuk wrote:

> >> I think so.  let me ask... why do we *need* the eclipse plugin to build,
> >> and even more important, why must it be modified?
> >
> > The purpose of modifications was AFAIK to make it compactible with the
> > name of main executable: 'ij.exe'. It looks that there were also a few
> > bug fixes.
>
> It would be helpful if the bug-fixes were raised in JIRA separately so
> that we can track/fix the plug-in bugs.

Sure, I have created H-699 for this. It makes sense to test that the
changes will not break usability of the plugin from ClearVM.
Unfortunately, I am not quite familiar with the code. Does anybody
familiar with the plugin could handle this task?

> > As for building, the tools package seems not to have own build system.
>
> The enhanced/tools/eclipse area does not participate in the classlib
> build system because they are Eclipse-specific tools, and require an
> Eclipse installation to compile against etc.  If you load the Eclipse
> tools' source into Eclipse you can build from there.
>
> The JDK tools (javac and keytool at the moment) do participate in the
> classlib build system.
>
> > The plugin is quite useful for complex testing scenarious: start
> > eclipse, create and run java project from it. So, the question would
> > be, how one could build plugin from tools package? I'm also thinking
> > about snapshot releases of the tools.
>
> You should load and build directly in the Eclipse framework, which is
> the usual way for Eclipse plug-ins.
>
> We keep snapshots here
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/harmony/enhanced/tools/trunk/eclipse/org.apache.harmony.eclipse.site/plugins/
>
> We discussed having an Eclipse update site but was told that there were
> plans to have an Apache-wide site.  AFAIK that has not come about.

--
Ivan
Intel Middleware Products Division

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
On 6/29/06, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ivan Volosyuk wrote:

> >> I think so.  let me ask... why do we *need* the eclipse plugin to
> build,
> >> and even more important, why must it be modified?
> >
> > The purpose of modifications was AFAIK to make it compactible with the
> > name of main executable: 'ij.exe'. It looks that there were also a few
> > bug fixes.
>
> It would be helpful if the bug-fixes were raised in JIRA separately so
> that we can track/fix the plug-in bugs.

No, there are no bugs here. Just the original plugin sources have be tuned
for the DRLVM specific.
Namely, no com.ibm.oti.configuration property is set when the DRLVM is run.
In this case
the plugin has a different behavior in comparing with the original one.
Therefore we need to tune it
(please look at the drlvm\trunk\build\patches\hyplugin.patch for details).
Otherwise it will not work correctly.

Thanks,
Vladimir.