Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/19 21:12:20 UTC

InstallApacheFlex - auto update mechanism

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 7/18/12 7 :05PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Daniel Ruiz <da...@gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >The build script needs to be fixed to automatically bump up the version
> >number every time the script is run.  Does anyone want to submit a patch
> >for this?  The code is available here:
> >
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/InstallApacheFlex
> >/
>
> I'll add build number support later today.
>
> Carol

Thanks Carol :-)

I also wanted to build an auto-update mechanism for the installer.  Since
we are using native installers, the AIR's built in auto-update cannot be
used.

For this it would be nice if the build script creates/updates a version.xml
file while creating the artifacts.  The script should automatically push
the version.xml along with the .exe and .dmg file to the release sites.

The app will check the version.xml each time and download the new installer
if there is an update.

Am I missing something else?

Thanks,
Om

Re: InstallApacheFlex - auto update mechanism

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

> Ok, what exactly do you want in version.xml?
>

> >> Carol

I have taken a standard template and modified it a bit:

<update>
    <version>1.2.0</version>  <!-- The latest version -->
    <urlWindows></urlWindows>  <!-- The URL to download the installer from
-->
    <urlMac></urlMac>  <!-- The URL to download the installer from -->
    <description>Latest release </description>
    <required>true</required>  <!-- required vs. optional.  you can leave
as true for now -->
 </update>

Re: InstallApacheFlex - auto update mechanism

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 7/20/12 1 :13PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>
>wrote:
>

>> On 7/19/12 3 :12PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>version
>> >> >

>>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/InstallApacheFle
>>
>> I know how to bump up the build number but do you really want it bumped
>>up
>> every time the script is run.  I think not.  You want it bumped up once,
>> every time there is a change - not the 10 or 20 times one might rebuild
>> while working on something.  Do you want the published version to go
>>from
>> 0.7.1 to 0.7.24 to 0.7.29, etc?
>>

>Can we have a -test vs. -release switch to the ant script?  The -release
>option would automatically do the version bump.  Future release managers
>would not remember to bump up the version numbers.

Yes, I can do that.  That was the only thing I came up with as well.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.