Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/11 14:57:37 UTC

Article on the Register

Hello everybody,

I just read this article [1] on the Register: "Apache devs: 'We'll ship
no OpenOffice before its time'"

It is sad that it has the usual misinformation:

- "... most of the original OpenOffice developers had already jumped
ship to the rival LibreOffice fork,..."

   when in reality most original OpenOffice developers are now working
in completely different companies and do not work on OpenOffice or
LibreOffice at all anymore.

- "Since then, the Apache developers have devoted most of their time to
cleaning up the code and resolving licensing issues, but have done
relatively little in the way of adding new features."

   then what have I and a lot of others done in the past few months if
not working on the sidebar?

The comments are even more one sided and sometimes close to hostile.
I think that we really have to start to counter such negative propaganda
and not just endure it.

Otherwise we might end up like NASA and the moon landing.  Google for
"nasa moon landing" and the third link is the wiki page about moon
landing conspiracy theories, which is longer than the page about the
actual moon landings.  I once read that NASA did not oppose the moon
hoax because they thought it would go away on its own but eventually
realized that it didn't.
When we don't tell the public that we are neither the bad guys nor are
particularly lazy then we will keep getting bad press.

Regards,
Andre

[1]
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/11/apache_openoffice_ship_when_ready/

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> We don't, but I do track a list of the most-common misconceptions that I read

By pure chance I read this quote today, which I think fits perfectly
(I hope it's historically correct)

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to
get its pants on."
- Winston Churchill

FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:07 AM, Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11.06.2013 17:45, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> You should find the email of the publication's news editor and write a
>>> polite yet firm complaint, saying in fewer words what you said here, put
>>> the writer in cc:, then lay back and enjoy the fireworks. It also helps
>>> if
>>> you put such letter on-line and reference it in your e-mail.
>>>
>>> Just an idea.. ;-)
>>>
>> I think just ignore it.  Why help promote El Reg?
>

> Hm, I like the Register. I like their style and usually their articles seem
> to be better researched, at least two years ago, when I read them more
> regularly.  But more importantly, this is just one of several such articles
> in the last months.  That makes me wonder if we should not be more active in
> making (of what we thing are) the facts better known.
>
> Do we already have an anti-FUD page in the Wiki that we can easily reference
> in comments to such articles?

We don't, but I do track a list of the most-common misconceptions that I read:

Misconception about Apache OpenOffice

1. Contributing to Apache requires that you assign copyright
(ownership) of your code to Apache.

2. Contributing to Apache requires that you sign the ICLA.

3. The Apache License permits "big corporation" to "lock up" your code
and prevent others from using it.

4. The "OpenOffice.org community" all went to LibreOffice.

5. Ohloh metrics give a fair and accurate comparison between Apache
OpenOffice and LibreOffice

6. Only IBM is working on Apache OpenOffice

7. License forces contributions to occur in a particular way, i.e.
"license is destiny".

8. Oracle controls OpenOffice (believe it or not, this still comes up)

9. LibreOffice is more widely used than AOO

10. Because OpenOffice is not having weekly low-quality releases it
must not be doing anything at all

-Rob

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> I think just ignore it.  Why help promote El Reg?
>>
>> Look at the numbers:
>

> You're right that devs shouldn't lose any sleep over what a news site says.
>
> However as someone who has been on the other side of the counter and knows
> how the relationship between a news editor and a writer works, let me tell
> you that letters to the editor are NOT ignored, and a news Ed hates when
> people tell him one of his writers has done a poor job.
>
> Case in point: a story about JVM languagues at another publication had
> completely the now open source and formerly IBM's JVM language NetRexx.
> They wrote to the publication until the site gave one of them the chance to
> gave "their side of the story", and a news story about the  Netrexx
> rebirth was published.
>
> Ok, that wasnt ElReg, but still, sometimes complaining works, specially if
> a reader puts into question the publication's fairness and tells the News
> Ed one of his employees doesnt know what he is talking (or writing) about.
>
> I fail to see how sending a complaint e-mail **as a reader** helps
> "promote" any given site, specially if the complaints are written
> individually and not speaking on behalf of a group or organization.

Good points.  I have no objections if someone wants to try.

-Rob

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> completely the now open

Sorry the above line should be "completely IGNORED Netrexx"

FC

act
- George Orwell

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/12/13 6:48 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 12/06/2013 Andre Fischer wrote:
>> Can we have both?  Some longer living, semi-'official' news and a more
>> frequently changing list of recent blog posts.  I find both important
>> and interesting.  And having blog posts listed on the main page may be
>> an incentive to more people writing new posts.
>
> Adding "Blog" to the main navigation bar is surely helpful. For
> something more similar to what Andre asked for, I've just committed a
> test to
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/test/index.html
> (if it gets published, no problem, it will still be in the test area).
>
> There you can see a block with the titles of the latest posts, good to
> show immediately what the blog topics are.
>
> Unless there are objections, I plan to port it to the "real" homepage
> during the weekend.

Maybe it possible to show the first sentence, first line or first
paragraph when we replace the news section completely.

And when we use the blog for new we should ensure that not only Rob is
blogging and that we have more names there ;-)

Juergen

PS: reminding my self to blog more often

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14.06.2013 14:27, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de>
>> wrote:

>>> I tend to see blog posts as news, too. Maybe with no official wording but
>>> more informal, but still news.
>>>
>> I think there are two dimensions:  formal versus informal, and
>> project-view versus personal.
>>
>> I think everything on the project blog should be written with us
>> wearing our "project hat".  In other words it should conform to
>> community values and support the mission of the project.  But within
>> these posts there may be various degrees of formality.  Some might be
>> written from the perspective of the individual, using the word "I".
>> Others might be more formal, and speak of "we".  Some might be more
>> conversational, others more in the form of a press release.  But they
>> are all done wearing out Apache OpenOffice hats.
>

> +1
>

>> I would not expect the project blog to have posts promoting 3rd party
>> businesses, discussing our summer holidays, criticizing other open
>> source projects, or attacking the NSA for spying on Americans.  But
>> all of these topics are fine for personal blogs, hosted outside of
>> Apache.
>>
>> If we agree on this kind of division, then "news" or "announcements"
>> would refer to project blog posts of a certain style.  They are the
>> more formal ones written with the intent of giving a specific message.
>>    We could decide to promote only such posts on the www.openoffice.org
>> homepage, or all posts.   Personally I think we might want to save
>> that space only for news posts.  And if we do that there is no need to
>> give the author's name on the home page.  Just give the title.
>

> My first reaction was to say, yes you are right.  After all, OpenOffice.org
> is the official home page for OpenOffice.  But on second thought, we are not
> a governmental institution.  We do not have official news that can change
> the lives of people (in the sense of rising taxes or making smoking
> illegal).  I think that as an opensource project that is run by volunteers,
> it would be a good thing to also have more personal opinions on the front
> page.  I don't see a problem as long as such blog posts, as you said above,
> are written while wearing the Apache hat.

Maybe it helps to have some specific examples, even fictitious ones:

A post on why the new sidebar is cool, could be written from 1st
person ("I") perspective and contain opinions on why it is cool.
Since coolness is subjective it is impossible to avoid this being an
opinion.  But it can still reflect a project hat perspective. The fact
that it may also be your personal opinion does not cancel out the fact
that it is a project-perspective as well.

But a post on why GPG is a bad license, written with the same level of
informality, by the same person, would probably not be good for the
project blog.  Why?  Because our position, as a project, is that we
prefer ALv2, and we understand and promotes its advantages, but we are
not out to condemn other licenses.

IMHO, personal opinions that are outside of what the project is
promoting belong outside of the project blog, on personal blogs.
However, even then there are things to help promote such personal
blogs, e.g., by re-enabling Planet OpenOffice.

Since we are dealing with FUD, and dealing with journalists who take
random posts on the mailing list as official project positions, we
really need a vehicle for giving authoritative statements.  If not the
blog, then what?  We cannot complain about the press confusing
personal opinion and official project statements if we cannot show
such clarity ourselves in our own communications.

-Rob

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/6/25 Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>

> On 17/06/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> If you consider all of that, one way of approaching it  might be:
>>
>> 1. Use the official blog for items that give a PMC perspective.
>>
>> 2. Use external blogs for "committer perspective" items, but aggregate
>> them into Planet OpenOffice, if we can set that up.
>>

> In the medium-long term, this would be a good proposal for enabling a more
> effective communication. Not everybody is comfortable with Roller (or
> blogging in English), and having an additional channel (the Planet) that
> aggregates personal blogs would make things easier.

There was a discussion about a "Planet" here

http://markmail.org/message/u4qxggwpfgw4ij2h

A multilingual Planet would be interesting

Regards
Ricardo

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/25/13 9:43 AM, janI wrote:
> On 25 June 2013 09:13, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 17/06/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> If you consider all of that, one way of approaching it  might be:
>>>
>>> 1. Use the official blog for items that give a PMC perspective.
>>>
>>> 2. Use external blogs for "committer perspective" items, but aggregate
>>> them into Planet OpenOffice, if we can set that up.
>>>

>> In the medium-long term, this would be a good proposal for enabling a more
>> effective communication. Not everybody is comfortable with Roller (or
>> blogging in English), and having an additional channel (the Planet) that
>> aggregates personal blogs would make things easier.
>>

> If e.g. I were to produce a blog entry, would that require that I have a
> roller account, or can I prepare the blog and have somone else publish it ?
>
> It would for sure make life easier if preparing an entry would be enough.

it would be possible that somebody else would publish it but it is
always better if the author does it.

A roller account should be no problem, it's just a jira issue

Juergen

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 14/06/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> If we agree on this kind of division, then "news" or "announcements"
>> would refer to project blog posts of a certain style.  They are the
>> more formal ones written with the intent of giving a specific message.
>

> For the time being I've just committed the "minimal" version, i.e.,
> http://www.openoffice.org/
> now has a block with the three latest blog posts.
>
> As for switching completely to the blog, I'm undecided. Having an article
> published at an openoffice.org URL instead than blogs.apache.org gives a
> more "official" connotation to it. Maybe we can just leave things as they

Longer term I'd love to move the blog to http://blog.openoffice.org

The header makes the difference, I think.  If it is called "blog" then
this sounds less official.  If it is called "announcements" then it
sounds official.  "News" is neutral.  Is it news from the project?  Or
about the project?

> are and rename "News" into "Announcements", i.e., articles with a more
> "official" tone that are meant to be featured on the homepage for longer
> periods (after all, this is how we are using "News" at the moment).

I thought about this some more, and was reminded that "news" is not
just stuff we write.  It is also what 3rd parties write.  At least
this is true on many other websites, where "news" sections link to 3rd
party stories as well.

So maybe a more accurate taxonomy of communications might be:

1. Types of communications:

A. Product announcements
B. Project announcements
C. Interviews
D. Technical Updates
E. Event reviews

2. Perspectives:

A. PMC perspective ("official")
B. Committer perspective ("personal")
C. 3rd party perspective

3. Vehicles for publishing

A. Blog
B. Home page
C. Website header (every page)
D. Press Releases
E. External Blogs and news sites
F. Social Media
G. Planet OpenOffice (if we decide to restore it)
H. Mailing lists

If you consider all of that, one way of approaching it  might be:

1. Use the official blog for items that give a PMC perspective.

2. Use external blogs for "committer perspective" items, but aggregate
them into Planet OpenOffice, if we can set that up.

3. For short announcements, or ones that are short duration (server
migrations, routine maintenance, deadlines for translation) use just
the mailing lists, social networks and/or the website home page.
These announcements might never go in the blog.

4. Similarly, relevant 3rd party content might be linked to on the
home page, e.g., product reviews, awards, etc.  But these might not
warrant a blog post.

5.  Not all blog posts are necessarily "news".  But many of them will be.

-Rob

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 14/06/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
> If we agree on this kind of division, then "news" or "announcements"
> would refer to project blog posts of a certain style.  They are the
> more formal ones written with the intent of giving a specific message.

For the time being I've just committed the "minimal" version, i.e.,
http://www.openoffice.org/
now has a block with the three latest blog posts.

As for switching completely to the blog, I'm undecided. Having an
article published at an openoffice.org URL instead than blogs.apache.org
gives a more "official" connotation to it. Maybe we can just leave
things as they are and rename "News" into "Announcements", i.e.,

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 06/13/2013 09:36 AM, schrieb Andre Fischer:
>
>  On 12.06.2013 22:06, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> the blog?
>>>
>>> And once we figure out how to update this live from the feed, I'd love
>>> to split the right side into three areas, one for the most recent blog
>>> posts, another for the most recent extensions and another for the most
>>> recent templates.
>>>
>>> So in a small space we can rotate headline from the blog, as well as
>>> templates, extensions, etc.
>>>

>> I like your ideas (Andrea, Marcus, Rob) in general. But
>>
>> - I think the distinction between blogs and news can be a good thing if
>> we understand blogs more as personal opinions of individual community
>> members and news as 'official' announcements. If we mix blogs and news
>> then I see the danger that news will be swept out of view by the much
>> more frequently written blog posts.
>>

> I tend to see blog posts as news, too. Maybe with no official wording but
> more informal, but still news.

So far, I feel most of our "blogs" are news really or maybe mini- press
releases, so not much of a distinction in my mind.

I think integrating news and blogs is a good idea, and would save both us
and our readers trying to differentiate between these two points.. But, I
too would like SOME way of publishing "lead ins" to some reasonable number
of them to display in one side column. Off hand, I don't know how to do
that, and, yes, we would need to add more "bloggers".

Time to think more about these things and find examples of what we like --
both in terms of information and display.

> With a clear structure of categories and a clear "signature/disclaimer" at
> the end of the text it should be clear enough in which context the blog
> text is - personal or official or ...
>
> Marcus
>

>  - Listing blog posts, extensions and templates will only work if we have
>> frequent updates of extensions and templates. I have to admit that I did
>> not follow those two in the past months. Is there enough traffic to talk
>> about?
>>

>> -Andre
>>

>>> -Rob
>>>
>>>  We keep going to post news also on the homepage *and* get more blog

>>> Another idea would be to introduce jQuery and implement one of the
>>> many sliders:
>>>
>>> http://vandelaydesign.com/**blog/tools/awesome-jquery-**sliders/<http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/tools/awesome-jquery-sliders/>
>>>

>>>  Unless there are objections, I plan to port it to the "real" homepage

MzK

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it is something to get away from."

-- Jodie Foster

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/14/2013 09:17 AM, schrieb Andre Fischer:
> On 13.06.2013 23:58, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> The problem is a news item might be longer than we can fit the full
>>> text on the home page. So it natural then to put the full text onto
>>> the blog and then a "teaser" on the home page.
>>>
>>> But note that the blog has categories that we can define and use, and
>>> if we want we could have a category for "announcement" or "news" or
>>> "opinion", etc., to make it clearer.
>>
>> Or name it "personal opinions". Then we can separate more clear
>> personal statements of single people from the official announcements
>> of the whole project. A clear disclaimer at the end of every text in
>> this category will help - like Rob did in some of his previous mails.
>
> You may want to read that particular disclaimer before suggesting to use
> it in other mails :-)

Andre, it's not "we can copy & paste Rob's text" but "a clear
disclaimer" - with accent on "a". ;-)

Marcus

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:17 AM, Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:
.
.
.

> You may want to read that particular disclaimer before suggesting to use it
> in other mails :-)
>
> -Andre

That's the point.  Everyone likes the idea of having disclaimers, but
few people read them.  It less about being useful than 'covering your
ass' in case someone complains later.

-Rob

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 13.06.2013 13:48, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12.06.2013 22:06, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> I was thinking something similar.  Shouldn't all new stories go onto the
>>> blog?
>>>
>>> And once we figure out how to update this live from the feed, I'd love
>>> to split the right side into three areas, one for the most recent blog
>>> posts, another for the most recent extensions and another for the most
>>> recent templates.
>>>
>>> So in a small space we can rotate headline from the blog, as well as
>>> templates, extensions, etc.
>>
>> I like your ideas (Andrea, Marcus, Rob) in general.  But
>>
>> - I think the distinction between blogs and news can be a good thing if we
>> understand blogs more as personal opinions of individual community members
>> and news as 'official' announcements.  If we mix blogs and news then I see
>> the danger that news will be swept out of view by the much more frequently
>> written blog posts.
>>
> The problem is a news item might be longer than we can fit the full
> text on the home page.  So it natural then to put the full text onto
> the blog and then a "teaser" on the home page.
>
> But note that the blog has categories that we can define and use, and
> if we want we could have a category for "announcement" or "news" or
> "opinion", etc., to make it clearer.
>
> Or we could have a blog that we use only for official news, maybe map
> it to news.openoffice.org or something.
>

>> - Listing blog posts, extensions and templates will only work if we have
>> frequent updates of extensions and templates.  I have to admit that I did
>> not follow those two in the past months.  Is there enough traffic to talk
>> about?
>>
> Three new templates so far in June:
>
> http://templates.openoffice.org/en/mostrecent
>
> And four new/updated extensions in June:
>
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/recent_updated

I am convinced on both accounts.  No more objections your honor.

-Andre

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/12/2013 06:48 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 12/06/2013 Andre Fischer wrote:
>> Can we have both? Some longer living, semi-'official' news and a more
>> frequently changing list of recent blog posts. I find both important
>> and interesting. And having blog posts listed on the main page may be
>> an incentive to more people writing new posts.
>
> Adding "Blog" to the main navigation bar is surely helpful. For
> something more similar to what Andre asked for, I've just committed a
> test to
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/test/index.html
> (if it gets published, no problem, it will still be in the test area).
>
> There you can see a block with the titles of the latest posts, good to
> show immediately what the blog topics are.

That's right. One (maybe radical) idea comes into my mind:

What if we stop the normal news (and the separate news webpage on
".../news/index.html") and post everything in the blog? And write some
headline on the homepage?

We keep going to post news also on the homepage *and* get more blog posts.

Another thing:
Put the x recent headlines directly between nav bar and "I want to learn
more ...". Yes, that would put everything a bit lower, but we would get
rid of the right side and the entire page will be much more smaller.
Better for mobile devices. And the news are always on top.

> Unless there are objections, I plan to port it to the "real" homepage
> during the weekend.

For me that would be fine.

Marcus

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 12.06.2013 01:23, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>> pick a
>> schedules

>> that

>> promotion

>> at the

>> blog) and
>> it's

>> what
>>>>
>>> How about adding it to the top-nav, where we currently have:
>>>
>>> Product
>>> Download
>>> Support
>>> Extend
>>> Develop
>>> Focus Areas
>>> Native Language
>>>
>>> Put a new entry there for "News" or "Blog" and have that link to the
>> blog.
>> I went ahead and did this.  Easily reversible if we don't like it.
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/
>>
>> -Rob

Great, thanks.  Looks like at least something good came from this article.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2013, at 4:57 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Well...I would have preferred calling it something else besides "News"
>>> because now I think it's confused/associated with the left "News" items.
>>>

>> Oh, good point.
>>
>>> When Andrea brought this up, I guess I was thinking he wanted actual Blog
>>> headlines listed/highlighted, but maybe the top nav bar is good if we come
>>> up with something a bit more "catchy".  But...I got nothin. :/
>>>

>> The problem we have (and maybe this is not a problem but just a
>> different form of success) is that the blog is now updated quite
>> frequently, but the stories on the home page never seem to change.  So
>> if you want news then the best place to go is the blog.
>>
>> I wonder what would happen if we moved to a single column design with
>> no stories on the right, but just the current menu items, but centered
>> on the screen?  That might work better on small devices as well.
>
> Small boxes push the new div below the buttons div.
>>
>> Or, figure out how to get the news column to trigger off of the RSS
>> feed of the blog, like the ASF homepage does.  We discussed this once,
>> but never completely figured it out.
>
> The way to figure this out is to study how www.apache.org does this and emulate it. We then setup the main page to republish itself every hour. We need Infra's help for that.
>

>> But short term, calling it "Blog" would be OK?
>
> Yes - and I would not have it be the leftmost topnav element. I would make it third or fourth - on either side of "Support".

Done.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> pick a
> schedules

> that

> promotion
> >>>>

> >> +1, yes, it's untrue and insulting but our actions DO speak louder than
> >> these words.

> at the

> blog) and
> it's
> >>>

> >> A good idea! I too feel the blogs are a bit too submerged. Let's see
> what
> >> we can come up with for this.
> >>

> > How about adding it to the top-nav, where we currently have:
> >
> > Product
> > Download
> > Support
> > Extend
> > Develop
> > Focus Areas
> > Native Language
> >
> > Put a new entry there for "News" or "Blog" and have that link to the
> blog.
> >

> I went ahead and did this.  Easily reversible if we don't like it.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/
>
> -Rob

Well...I would have preferred calling it something else besides "News"
because now I think it's confused/associated with the left "News" items.

When Andrea brought this up, I guess I was thinking he wanted actual Blog
headlines listed/highlighted, but maybe the top nav bar is good if we come
up with something a bit more "catchy".  But...I got nothin. :/

> > Putting it in the nav will give it visibility on most website (non-wiki)
> pages.
> >
> > -Rob

> which

> >> --

MzK

"You can't believe one thing and do another.
 What you believe and what you do are the same thing."
                             -- Leonard Peltier

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Guenter Marxen <gu...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Am 11.06.2013 18:49, schrieb Rob Weir:

> Put a new entry there for "News" or "Blog" and have that link to the blog.

+1 (perhaps even News and Blog)

--
Grüße

Günter Marxen

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:58:54 +0200
RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/6/11 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
>
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > no

> > > You should find the email of the publication's news editor and write a
> > > polite yet firm complaint, saying in fewer words what you said here, put
> > > the writer in cc:, then lay back and enjoy the fireworks. It also helps
> > if
> > > you put such letter on-line and reference it in your e-mail.
> > >
> > > Just an idea.. ;-)
> > >

> > I think just ignore it.  Why help promote El Reg?
> >
> > Look at the numbers:
> >
> > www.openoffice.org: Alexa Traffic Rank #3715:
> > http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/openoffice.org
> >
> > theregister.co.uk: Alexa Traffic Rank  #4251:
> > http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/theregister.co.uk
> >
> > In other words, our website gets more traffic than their news site does.
> >
> > And libreoffice.org is ranked #8163:
> > http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/libreoffice.org
> >
> > So the best strategy is to ignore the the FUD and push accurate and
> > useful information onto our website.  That approach reaches more
> > users, and is under our control.
> >

> +1. Talking about sites like El Reg means promoting them, and promotion
> means more weight on search engines for those lies which is against our own
> interest so let them shout alone on their corner. We need to be verbose
> about what we do, not about what others say we don't.
>
> Regards
> Ricardo
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> > > FC
> > >

> > > --
> > > During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a
> > revolutionary
> > > act
> > > Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
> > Acto
> > > Revolucionario
> > > - George Orwell

Also it is an article which parrots from a limited set of sources, with _no_ attempt by the author to confirm any of the assertions in such sources, with a preponderance of selection from LibO sources.  Any academic of any standing would throw this out as a piece of research.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Article on the Register

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I just read this article [1] on the Register: "Apache devs: 'We'll ship no
> OpenOffice before its time'"
>
> It is sad that it has the usual misinformation:
>
> - "... most of the original OpenOffice developers had already jumped ship to
> the rival LibreOffice fork,..."

If you read it in Wikipedia it must be true.

>   when in reality most original OpenOffice developers are now working in
> completely different companies and do not work on OpenOffice or LibreOffice
> at all anymore.
>

> - "Since then, the Apache developers have devoted most of their time to
> cleaning up the code and resolving licensing issues, but have done
> relatively little in the way of adding new features."

That is the same old tripe.  The license work was done from October
27th through December 23rd 2011.  But they claim that took most of our
time.

>   then what have I and a lot of others done in the past few months if not
> working on the sidebar?
>
> The comments are even more one sided and sometimes close to hostile.
> I think that we really have to start to counter such negative propaganda and
> not just endure it.

It is El Reg.  One should not have high expectations.

> Otherwise we might end up like NASA and the moon landing.  Google for "nasa
> moon landing" and the third link is the wiki page about moon landing
> conspiracy theories, which is longer than the page about the actual moon
> landings.  I once read that NASA did not oppose the moon hoax because they
> thought it would go away on its own but eventually realized that it didn't.
> When we don't tell the public that we are neither the bad guys nor are
> particularly lazy then we will keep getting bad press.

Ship code and the real press will cover it.  Talk about code and we'll
just get El Reg and similar.

-Rob