Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by ajalkane <aj...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/06 16:57:00 UTC

Re: Precompiled APR libraries for Win32?

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:41:45 -0600 (CST), Randy Kobes
<ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, ajalkane wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:41:24 -0600 (CST), Randy Kobes
> > <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> wrote:

> [ .. ]
> > >
> > > I've built it using VC++ 6, and could make it available,
> > > if that'd be useful. Would you need the libs, dlls, and
> > > header files?
> >
> > Hi Randy,
> >
> > that would be very helpful. I guess I would need the libs, dlls and
> > header files too since I couldn't even get past configure with MinGW.
>
> I put up a build from the current svn sources at
>     http://www.apache.org/~randyk/
> This includes apr, apr-iconv, and apr-util (without ldap
> support, as I don't have v3), and has both the static
> and dynamic builds. Let me know if you have any problems.
>
> --
> best regards,
> randy

Thank you Randy for providing these. Unfortunately there was linking
problems, which as far as I could gather, are because of the way
MinGW's MSVCRT library has been linked (exporting of symbol names is a
bit different than in the library you have compiled). Apparently I
would need to recompile MinGW's MSVCRT library using the old
compatibility mode to get it working.

Because of that, and because I thought it will be important I can fix
and recompile the library in case of problems, I took the high road
and started fixing APR's configure.in to work with MinGW.

It took a whole lot of time from me, but I finally managed to compile
APR using MinGW (in Cygwin environment). However, when I tried
compiling a test program that uses APR there was linking problems. I
have wasted so much time to this already that I have decided this is
enough, and I will use ACE for my cross-platform networking needs
instead of APR. But if someone wants to continue I can provide the
changes that I had to do to get the library to compile in MinGW. I
would like to eventually see APR compile and be usable using just free
software on Windows also. I like the way the API looks.

Regards,
Arto