Posted to user@drill.apache.org by velu jeganathan <ve...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/20 23:05:42 UTC

Connecting Apache Drill with Snowflake DB

Hi,

I am trying to connect Apache Drill to query Snowflake cloud data
warehouse. I was able to successfully create a snowflake storage plugin in
Drill web UI from my windows 10 machine with JSON structure as below. But I
am not able to either explore the tables in the schema in the explorer nor
query the tables. I am using Snowflake JDBC driver from their site:
https://docs.snowflake.net/manuals/user-guide/jdbc-configure.html#examples

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.

{
 "type": "jdbc",
 "driver": "net.snowflake.client.jdbc.SnowflakeDriver",
  "url": "jdbc:snowflake://accountname.snowflakecomputing.com/?
    warehouse=wh&db=test_db&schema=test_schema",
  "username": "user",
  "password": "pwd",
  "caseInsensitiveTableNames": false,
  "enabled": true
  }

Thanks and Regards,
Jeganathan Velu

Re: Connecting Apache Drill with Snowflake DB

Posted by Paul Rogers <pa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Jeganathan,

What error are you seeing? We recently has another user trying to connect to Dremo and had them try some things to track down the problem. Perhaps you can start by trying some of those steps. See the Drill archives for February 2020.

The first thing to check is that the driver actually works in Drill so we can rule out things like the driver in the wrong place, conflicting dependencies and so on. Please check Drill's logs ($DRILL_HOME/log/drillbit.log) to see if they provide any information.

The next step is to try simple tasks directly from Sqlline or the Drill web console. The prior e-mails suggest the steps to take.

The final step would be to figure out if there is an issue for some specific query or workspace.

A quick check of the Snowflake site suggests that they do not have a publicly-visible sample data set; looks like I'd need to set up a free trial. As a result, I can't easily try out the connection for you.

Thanks,
- Paul