Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com> on 2013/02/16 04:33:42 UTC

android cloudstack client

Guys,
  I was wondering how useful will be a android (and iOS) cloudstack client will be ? I have started to put together a android client initially to show dash board and later probably will add more functionality.
Before putting in more effort, wanted to probe the community if this is something they will want to use ?

-abhi

Re: android cloudstack client

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Abhinandan Prateek
<Ab...@citrix.com> wrote:
> On 16/02/13 9:08 AM, "David Nalley" <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Abhinandan Prateek
>><Ab...@citrix.com> wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>   I was wondering how useful will be a android (and iOS) cloudstack
>>>client will be ? I have started to put together a android client
>>>initially to show dash board and later probably will add more
>>>functionality.
>>> Before putting in more effort, wanted to probe the community if this is
>>>something they will want to use ?
>>>
>>> -abhi
>>
>>I find Cumulus [1] to be pretty useful as an end-user, but less so as an
>>admin
>>
>>[1] https://github.com/creationline/cumulus
>
> Is there something similar for iOS platform ?

I've seen this, but haven't used it:
http://www.appannie.com/app/ios/cloudstack-api/

It's written by the guy who wrote the perl bindings for the CloudStack API.

--David

Re: android cloudstack client

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
As a dual iOS/Android user I think this is a great idea. Heck, even to just have a nice monitoring tool/performance app would be great.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Pranav Saxena <pr...@citrix.com>.
@Nitin - Our idea is to design it from a user perspective only . I 'll probably be able to share the screenshots very shortly .

@Abhi - Sure , I think we would definitely need you to pitch in since you already have experience with creating native apps. The more ideas , the better it is to achieve something close to perfection:) .But as I mentioned the work which is going on is designed from a user view and not admin.

For having an app focusing on admin View , we still need to think about it . Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks,
Pranav

Posted by Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com>.
Hello Chip,

Thus far the plans are to make this an open-source product. We are in the early beginning stages of thought behind all this and have yet to decide on anything. I'll start a formal discussion and proposal as we have a better idea of where we would like to see this going. It' great to hear that there is some interest in this though.

Thanks You and Best Regards,

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Doh - yes, sorry confusing my Adobe-originated projects - I meant
Cordova not Flex.

--David

Posted by Brian Federle <Br...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:
> Let me ask a stupid question.  Why not html5 client that works for both ios and android?  Why only android?
>
> --Alex

Perhaps we could even leverage Flex - and get support for a ton of platforms.

--David

RE: android cloudstack client

Alex, I'm not a mobile developer, but don't you still need wrappers for IOS and Android in objective c and java - even though you use HTML5?

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Pranav Saxena <pr...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Pranav Saxena <pr...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.
As a cloud admin, I would love to keep a tab on my cloud so ideally would
want to see the dashboard, general health and alerts on my cloud.
It will be also useful for time taking functionalities like taking
snapshot, creating a vm etc. so would like to be notified when these
operations are done.
So this focuses on admin based functionalities.

Maybe we can also have a user based app where he can view his vms,
snapshots - take action on them and see his account limits.

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.