Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Shubham Jain <sh...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/03 11:12:40 UTC

Problem in RollingFileAppender and ConsoleAppender .net core log4net

Hi,

I am facing issue when trying to use both RollingFileAppender and
ConsoleAppender in .net core log4net. We are launching a console
application (.net core 3.0) from apache server. When we are launching the
application from command prompt then everything works fine but when we
launch the application from server, the application hangs at log.info()
method after logging few lines.

When I remove the   ConsoleAppender from log4net.config and relaunch the
application from server then everything works perfectly.

So, I came to the conclusion that this problem is happening due to multi
appender use or some configuration issues.

Our requirement is to logging on both file and console.Please help or
suggest something to solve this problem.

Thanks
Shubham Jain

Re: Problem in RollingFileAppender and ConsoleAppender .net core log4net

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shubham Jain,

welcome to this mailing list. Plese consider subscribing to avoid future
manual interventions by a human moderator.

The application works with consoleappender enabled when run from console.
This indicates to me that the issue is related to the environment in
headless mode. The symptoms disappear when the consoleappender is disabled
in headless mode. This further indicates to me that the underlying root
cause is related to writing output to console when in headless mode.
Console output via the consoleappender is most probably not what you want
the application to do in headless mode anyway. Therefore consider windows
event logs or other sinks / appenders like databases or files when in
headless mode.

I can imagine that the root cause may be related to permission issues on
your server machine. For concrete clues you may even have to debug the
situation.

Good luck and let us know about your findings. Future readers are going to
be thankful for any valuable information they can get.

Dominik
--
Sent from my phone. Typos are a kind gift to anyone who happens to find
them.