Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Yang <te...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/11 05:04:05 UTC

index searcher leading to system freeze ?

I'm running 8 index searchers  java processes on a 8-core node.
They all read from the  same lucene index on local hard drive.

the index contains about 20million docs, each doc is a small record with
about 200 bytes.
total size is about 5GB.

it worked fine before, but recently (I don't know what changed) I found
that once the index searchers
are started, kswapd and kjournald take up 100% cpu (but this is not such a
bad thing, cuz the 8 cores
offer 800% cpu), and quickly the system comes to a freeze.

I do NOT have swap on the system, so I don't understand why kswapd and
kjournald should be so busy.
But even if these 2 kernel processes are busy, that's no reason for the
system to freeze either.
Does this sound like a kernel bug?

the system is a EC2 instance:
Linux blahblah.mycompany.com 2.6.21.7-2.fc8xen #1 SMP Fri Feb 15 12:34:28
EST 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks a lot
yang

Re: index searcher leading to system freeze ?

Posted by Israel Tsadok <it...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure this is at all related, but we've had high cpu loads on our
servers due to the leap second kernel bug -
http://serverfault.com/questions/403732/<http://serverfault.com/questions/403732/anyone-else-experiencing-high-rates-of-linux-server-crashes-during-a-leap-second>
.

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.