Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jérôme Duval <je...@regitan.qc.ca> on 2004/06/23 15:57:41 UTC

[Dev] What is the best way to proceed...

I am currently developing a web application using tomcat 5.0.24. The layout
of my application is like so:

<frameset rows="180,*,57" framespacing=0 border=0 frameborder=0>
	<frame ...>
	<frameset cols="*,175" framespacing=0 border=0 frameborder=0>
		<frameset rows="35,*" framespacing=0 border=0 frameborder=0>
			<frame noresize scrolling="no" marginheight=0
marginwidth=0 src="bar.jsp" name="bar">
			<frame noresize scrolling="yes" marginheight=0
marginwidth=0 src="view.jsp" name="view">
		</frameset>
		<frame noresize scrolling="no" marginheight=0 marginwidth=0
src="naviBar.jsp" name="navigation">
	</frameset>
	<frame ...>
</frameset>

I currently store in each user's session a Viewing attribute which allows me
to tell which page they want to view and view.jsp reacts accordingly by
including the right html page. But now, I have a jsp for ordering online and
there is a lot of java code that gets turned to whitespace when served to
the client increasing the file size. I would thus like to convert this JSP
to a servlet.

Now I could specify the links to load into the view frame and use the
response's PrintWriter to output the content, but I would like to reload the
navigation frame at the same (because a button will go away and be replaced
with another one). I have seen examples, of two frames changing, but this
was always client side (using javascript for example) and I was wondering if
it was possible to do this server side.

In case you are wondering how I am doing it right now, people are constantly
reloading the index page (through the magic that is target="_top"), and the
jsps content change. This works with the jsp that I currently have, but I
don't think it will work with the servlet because response.getWriter(); will
give me a writer that will write over index.html and thus, people will only
see what I write. I could recreate my layout on one big page instead, but it
hardly seems like I would be saving space!!!

Sorry for the long post. Your input is much appreciated!
Jerome