Posted to users@maven.apache.org by hl...@attbi.com on 2003/06/09 23:27:18 UTC

xdoc entity problem

I'm having a problem using XML entities inside .xdoc files.

I like to create XML entities for my XML documentation for commong things like
links to API docs or to descriptions of my schemas.

So, I have a file, services.xml, which begins:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE document [
	<!ENTITY % common-links SYSTEM "../common/links.xml">
	%common-links;
	]>

Inside common/links.xml I have stuff like:

<!ENTITY _module '&lt;module&gt;'>
<!ENTITY module '<a href="descriptor.html#module">&_module;</a>'>

And that works properly in my docs; <module> appears as a link when I use
&module; in the document.

However, if you do something *simpler* it fails:

<!ENTITY api.IFactory 'IFactory'>

Appears in the output as a blank space.

<!ENTITY api.IFactory '&lt;IFactory&gt;'>

Appears as:  <IFactory>

<!ENTITY api.IFactory '[IFactory]'>

Appears as:  ]

<!ENTITY api.IFactory '<a
href="apidocs/org/apache/commons/hivemind/IFactory.html">IFactory</a>'>

Appears as:
      tory
    </a>

Is this a known problem?