Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2005/12/03 06:08:42 UTC

Jetty Logging: INFO output

I've taken a first stab at reducing our INFO output.  One of the
standouts is Jetty, which log various stuff as INFO during startup,
where the logger name is the web context name (/ or /console or
/console-standard, etc.).  Is there any chance of getting a Jetty
build in the next few days that emits no INFO output during startup?

The problem is, since the log categories are literally only "/" or
"/console" or whatever (not AFAICT org.mortbay.jetty./console or
something), we can't easily override those categories to log at only
WARN or higher.  I mean, we could do it for the console and the stuff
we ship, but as soon as the user deployed a new web app, there would
be more INFO output again (under their custom context name).  I'm
hoping to eliminate INFO output entirely except for stuff like
"Geronimo server started".  So it would be great to find a way to
suppress the "context started" INFO messages from Jetty.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Jetty Logging: INFO output

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
It would be nice if there was a prepended package to the context for
logging.  Like com.mortbay.jetty.webapp./console er something.

I've never been too happy with services going outside of the standard
package based logger naming conventions.

--jason

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On 12/3/05, Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com> wrote:
>
>>We will be doing a release anyway for a couple of small things in
>>the next day or two. Will let you know when it's done.
>

> Great!
>

>>BTW: what is happening with the JSR77 stuff for the webconsole
>>that we were discussing?
>

> I think Joe was looking at that.
>
> Thanks,
>     Aaron

Yes, I was looking into this but I haven't done much in the last few
days because my attention has been taken by a number of broken items in
the console.

I'll respond on the other thread so that we can narrow down what is needed.

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: Jetty Logging: INFO output

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.
Aaron,

Cool. If you've got log4j configured then the DEBUG_VERBOSE won't
have had any effect.

We will be doing a release anyway for a couple of small things in
the next day or two. Will let you know when it's done.

BTW: what is happening with the JSR77 stuff for the webconsole
that we were discussing?

regards
Jan

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.